Thread: Autumn dinner - fast and easy page

microkate is offline Member

Autumn dinner - fast and easy

Shop Now
    I threw this together the other night and it turned out amazingly well. It takes a bit of time to cook, but the active time is minimal, especially if you buy already prepped butternut squash.

1 butternut squash, skinned and cubed
    ~1.5 lb chicken - I used 10 frozen chicken tenderloins
    1 c figs - I had frozen some during the summer, but dried would work too - quartered
    1 lg apple, diced
    1 1/2 cups chicken broth
    ground cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, pepper
    salt

Heat oven to 400. Scatter the squash pieces on a baking pan and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon. When the oven is up to temp, put the squash in for about 30min.

Throw the chicken (can be still frozen) into a large pan along with the figs, apples and chicken broth. Add a pinch of salt and a little cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and pepper - go easy on the spices though. You want it to taste autumn-y, not like pumpkin pie. Cover the pan, turn heat to medium.

At this point I walked away while the chicken simmered and squash baked. When the oven timer went off, I pulled the squash, removed the chicken to a plate and then turned the heat under the pan to high. I reduced the sauce for about 7 min, stirring occasionally. Serve the thickened sauce over the chicken.

Depending on your oven and stove temps you may need to adjust the cooking time.

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    sounds delicious!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.