Thread: Macros, IF, Paleo... again page

Lawbat is offline Senior Member

Macros, IF, Paleo... again

Primal Fuel
    I feel very conflicted between Wolf, Berkhan, and Sisson.

After a fair bit of success dropping weight from a low carb paleo, following Sisson's carb curve and a little bit of Tim Ferris' slow carb thing.

Trying hard to put on muscle, and still chasing the six pack. Feel like I've mostly been doing a CKD for months, and the switch to the targetted keto thing is... unnerving.

While, yes, I feel stronger in the gym with some carbs in my system (rice, potatoes, well cooked beans, just a little fruit), I'm also a bit freaked out about it, honestly.

Purely visually, I see muscle gain, but less definition in the ab department.

Basically, on my 3 lifting days, I've been adding 500 cals or so, 100-200 grams of carbs.
    On rest days, I cut out most of those carbs, and drop about 500 calls below maintenance.

Just found this IF calculator, and the macros feel close, but a little high for me.
    What do you people think?

IF Calculator

I feel like primal is more about eating naturally, and less about schedule and macros.
    Maybe that's the advantage of keeping carbs low?
    That said, Sisson seems happy in a state of almost perpetual keto, while Harris and others really challenge that idea.

For my part, low carbs just didn't feel as strong. Even after adjusting.
    And if I'm not just going with keto, then I think macros need more attention....

Help?

Chochobo is offline Senior Member
    i wouldnt freak about ur carb intake its not really a lot. as far as mark goes i think hes met his goals and only needs to maintain himself. i believe he said he doesnt workout like he used to. so his requirements to maintain are dif than most. i go thru 1200g of carbs in one day cause im doing an extensive program im not saying u should do this but just showing u dont need to be in keto to achieve goals of muscle gain.
    "Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we often might win, by fearing to attempt." -- William Shakespeare

my weight loss story...
    started @400+pounds
    CW: 191lbs 15%BF
    PB: 158lbs 10%BF 33in waist
    UD2(6 weeks): 168lbs 9%BF 31in waist
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread39123.html

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Original poster, you have to decide whether you want to put on muscle or lose body fat. Building muscle requires a positive calorie balance, and losing fat calls for a negative calorie balance. And you can't be in a calorie surplus and deficit simultaneously. Those who claim to have lost fat and gained muscle at the same time were experiencing so-called newbie gains - or taking "special supplements".

Yes, I know I'm going to get flamed for using the C-word.

tabby is offline Junior Member

Newbie Gains

Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    Original poster, you have to decide whether you want to put on muscle or lose body fat. Building muscle requires a positive calorie balance, and losing fat calls for a negative calorie balance. And you can't be in a calorie surplus and deficit simultaneously. Those who claim to have lost fat and gained muscle at the same time were experiencing so-called newbie gains - or taking "special supplements".

Yes, I know I'm going to get flamed for using the C-word.
    Can you elaborate? My first 60 days produced 11 lbs. lost using PB and Bootcamp 3 days per week. After complaining of fatigue, my trainer directed me to take a primal shake within 20 minutes of the end of each workout. After 30 days, I was up 1 lb.; but fat analysis (skin caliper/measuring routine) indicated 4lbs. Of additional lean body mass. Is this a newbie gain from supplements? What is the mechanism?
    -Steve

Jerseyjim is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Trying hard to put on muscle, and still chasing the six pack
    Conflicting goals. Kharnath nailed it.

If you want to put on muscle, up your protein and eat more calories than you expend. If you want the six-pack, eat less than you expend.

Good luck!