Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teach me how to [eat] fish! page

HeatherJ is offline Senior Member

Teach me how to [eat] fish!

Primal Fuel
    I have never been able to eat seafood, not even a lone frozen fish finger. I have tried to eat several different kinds, but as soon as I smell that 'fishy' smell my gag reflex kicks in and I can't actually put the food in my mouth. However, I know I am missing out on so many health benefits by eliminating this food group from my diet.

Does anyone have advice on how to introduce seafood to my taste buds? At first maybe I need to mask the taste to trick my tongue into accepting it, and then just use repetition as a means of getting used to eating it? What should I start out with? How should I prepare it? I don't know what is really fishy-tasting and what is more mild. Also, what is the texture like? I've always imagined seafood to be quite rubbery...

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member
    Truly fresh fish shouldn't have that dodgy 'fishy' smell. Smoked salmon could be a good one so start with? Cut thin strips off it and mix in with lots of leaves and lemon. IF you can't eat smoked salmon, i'd say you're a lost cause
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

BestBetter is offline Senior Member

my husband has the same issue, you're not alone!

I've been trying to help my husband acclimate to fish for a year now, but it's a slow process because he hates the taste and texture. Surprisingly, he recently tried sushi at a great Japanese place and liked it. He said that the salmon sashimi, as well as the sushi rolls were unlike the texture and taste he associated with fish. I know it may seem counterintuitive, but it could be worthwhile to start off with sashimi.

Also, he is very into salty and spicy flavors, and I've found that seasoning fish using those flavors helps, too. Perhaps you could add some spices or sauces to help transition you into liking the taste and experience of eating fish. I'm not a zucchini fan, but smoothered in tomato sauce, I can eat it till the cows come home!

I personally think white fish is pretty mild, but he prefers the thicker steak-cuts, like swordfish, tuna, and salmon because somehow to him they're less "fishy", so maybe you could start with those.
    Last edited by BestBetter; 11-23-2011 at 02:06 AM.

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    I am going to put this out there... if you do rice at all... Try some sushi rolls. There is plenty of other textures in it and if you add wasabi ginger and a touch of soy sauce there is a lot going on in your mouth. maybe start with a spicey tuna roll? or if you dont want to jump right in the veggi rolls first to get used to the whole "sushi" thing then try a spicey tuna roll.

That is all I got though... I have always loved fish. Dont force it if you hate it though. The whole point of primal is not to be happy. You could take some fish oil and call it a day.

PJL75 is offline Junior Member
    I'm like you, I can't eat fish, never have. I have also been trying to get to like it, tried for over a year, but it just hasn't worked.
    I also get serious digestive problems from Omega-3 pills, so I don't eat them either.
    I just decided that my reactions to fish is my body trying to tell me to stay clear of it, that there's something in there that is unhealthy for me.
    So now I've decided to just don't bother with seafood anymore.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Well, the oiliest (higher omega 3 etc) fish are also the strongest tasting - think mackerel!
    White fish (Asda, tesco etc "Value" frozen white fish is pollock, so no endangered cod etc) is bland and mild. In fact it might be worth trying some of that frozen fish in something.
    Have you considered shellfish? Mussels don't taste of fish, they taste of the sea. Which might be an acquired taste in itself! Squid is very "meaty" and goes well with spiced tomato sauces.
    If there's a Spanish restaurant near you, why not try some tapas? Then you can try a little bit of lots of dishes, give you some ideas perhaps?

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Well, the oiliest (higher omega 3 etc) fish are also the strongest tasting - think mackerel!
    White fish (Asda, tesco etc "Value" frozen white fish is pollock, so no endangered cod etc) is bland and mild. In fact it might be worth trying some of that frozen fish in something.
    Have you considered shellfish? Mussels don't taste of fish, they taste of the sea. Which might be an acquired taste in itself! Squid is very "meaty" and goes well with spiced tomato sauces.
    If there's a Spanish restaurant near you, why not try some tapas? Then you can try a little bit of lots of dishes, give you some ideas perhaps?

crogagnon is offline Member
    Whichever trick you use, rest assured that the smell, taste and texture will grow on you. I used to gag at the smell of sardines and would smother them in dijon mustard. But now, I eat them plain and love them. Just take sardine steps.

seaweed is online now Senior Member
    i come from at least 7/8 sea coast ancestry. i grew up well away from the sea. my mind used to want fish but i wasn't be able to eat it. what i found helped was fresh fish. and by fresh fish, i mean off the wharf fresh. not in the shop fresh. i practised on the more mild fish. our species would be different to yours. and also smoked fish but the more mild meaty species. then i would go to seafood restruants and have things there. i can now eat raw shellfish, i love all fish and sea creatures, i can even eat and enjoy muttonbirds. if i didnt live right by the ocean, i would prob stick to smoked fish, altho i can do frozen fresh fish now too.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I think that a grilled white fish might be a good place to start. Something like tilapia or mahi mahi cooked right doesn't smell or taste very fishy. Lemon and onions would go a long way as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast