Thread: dehydrating sweet potatoes for chips? page

Brent* is offline Senior Member

dehydrating sweet potatoes for chips?

Shop Now
    I'm looking to make some sweet potatoe chips with my Nesco dehydrator I just bought. Have you guys done this, and how did they turn out? Curious how long I need to leave them in.

Thanks!

BestBetter is offline Senior Member

wouldn't suggest it, unfortunately

I have a dehydrator, which i love. I've tried to dehydrate just about everything I could think of, and the two worst things were carrot chips and sweet potato chips. They were edible, and maybe you'll love them, but I was really disappointed.

However, i do wholeheartedly recommend zucchini chips. Neither I nor my husband like zucchini particularly, but sliced thin and brushed with a little brine or salt and vinegar or pepper just before dehydrating them produces awesome chips that we both gobble down.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    I did the sweet potato chip thing twice and as BestBetter said, they were pretty bad. They were hard as hell if you didn't eat them right away and didn't have a whole lot of flavor to them.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    I have a dehydrator, which i love. I've tried to dehydrate just about everything I could think of, and the two worst things were carrot chips and sweet potato chips. They were edible, and maybe you'll love them, but I was really disappointed.

However, i do wholeheartedly recommend zucchini chips. Neither I nor my husband like zucchini particularly, but sliced thin and brushed with a little brine or salt and vinegar or pepper just before dehydrating them produces awesome chips that we both gobble down.
    How did you make zuchinni chips? how thick did you slice them (really thin I take it) and how long did you dehydrate?

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    a third vote for "they sucked."

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I bet you could make them taste great if you seasoned them a little. I love making thin sweet potato "fries" in my oven. I slice up the sweet potato and I coat them in cinnamon, some chilli powder, a bit of powdered vanilla and a little sea salt. I toss them in the oven on a foil covered cookie sheet at 450 for about twenty minutes give or take (you need to rotate them a few times so they'll cook evenly). The only oil that I use is a thin coat on the foil to keep them from sticking.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I think the main problem with dehydrated sweet potato chips isn't the flavor, but the texture. They're rock hard. I guess slicing them really thin might work, I'm not sure. On a positive note, they can be successfully rehydrated by cooking them with a little bit of boiling water.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    We did sweet potato chips in the oven and they were delicious! Sprayed them with vinegar and dropped some sea salt on them before baking them. The temperature and timing are tricky, though, so expect a few learning batches before cranking out good chips. Dehydrating is pretty sketchy on most starchy things.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    We did sweet potato chips in the oven and they were delicious! Sprayed them with vinegar and dropped some sea salt on them before baking them. The temperature and timing are tricky, though, so expect a few learning batches before cranking out good chips. Dehydrating is pretty sketchy on most starchy things.
    what time and temp did you use? Everytime I try to bake them half are black the other half are soggy in the middle. I use a mandonlin to slice them so they are all the same thickness.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Try slightly lower temp (our oven dial is 325), longer baking time, and rotating the baking sheet every few minutes.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html