Thread: I just need to vent about people not getting it page

nutritionut is offline Member

I just need to vent about people not getting it

Primal Fuel
    So I've struggled with Candida for the past three years. I've finally gotten my diet and supplements in a good groove, don't eat any sugar or grains, etc. I'm an ex-vegetarian and Indian. I'm visiting my family over the holidays. My mother has accepted that I don't eat grains, dairy, fruit, etc. She stocked the house with food I eat before I came, which I appreciated.

She wants me to be able to eat a less restrictive diet (I do too eventually). But she keeps trying to tell me that if I eat dairy and wheat with spices like cumin, fennel, coriander, ginger (all known for aiding digesting), then I can "trick" my body into not being allergic. Attempts to explain the errors in this would be futile. I also know telling her I'm not a vegetarian would break her heart, so I'm avoiding the issue for the time being.

I seriously don't understand most vegetarians. I rarely see them eat vegetables. I feel like I've started to eat a lot more vegetables during my transition into non-vegetarianism. It seems like they just eat sugar or stuff from boxes. I no longer understand how this passes for nutrition just because the oatmeal they love is low-fat and high fiber.

I know I will need to incorporate more broth in my diet to heal my gut. I want to be able to enjoy fruit, chocolate, and the very occasional drink. I do miss that freedom. But at the same time, it's great to not have food cravings and to have everything I eat serve a nutritional purpose. I never, ever want to go back to grains or junk food.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    As a foreign Indian with meat-eating Indian parents, I can sympathize, sort of. My folks are lovely and cook awesome food, but they are having a horrible time trying to understand the whole concept of primal WOE. My mum is pre-diabetic and my dad is a diabetes-councilor, yet they write it off when I tell them to cut grains. In fact, mum told me shed rather be dead than to eat the way I do. at the end of the day you can only do what's best for you and hope your example might inspire others.

B. Knight is offline Senior Member
    I had a Vegetarian friend who was quite large (Morbidly obese) and short. She said she got in to vegetarianism for the health benefits when she was in high school, and now 6 years later she's freakin' huge and all she eats is tons of bread and cheese. I worked at a bakery/cafe with her and she would get either tomato soup in a bowl she would layer to the top alternating croutons and Parmesan cheese, AND a cheese sandwich with no veggies on it. OR she would get a small salad, COVERED in croutons, like a whole layer of them, and then the nastiest, sweetest dressing she could find and of course more cheese... and then a cheese sandwich on the side. Oh, did I mention she would get a side of baguette with either order, yeahhh.... I don't get it. Oh, then she was going to start walking because she wanted to get healthy, bought a pair of hundred dollar running shoes she couldn't afford, and I'm pretty sure she just never used them. Did I mention she had Fibromyalgia?

/rant

I've never understood vegetarianism. I'm mostly a carnivore, and usually end up making an ass of myself around vegetarians.
    "You don't have forever to change yourself."
    Stefan Molyneux
    Freedomain Radio

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
    Mark Twain

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Knight View Post
    I had a Vegetarian friend who was quite large (Morbidly obese) and short. She said she got in to vegetarianism for the health benefits when she was in high school, and now 6 years later she's freakin' huge and all she eats is tons of bread and cheese. I worked at a bakery/cafe with her and she would get either tomato soup in a bowl she would layer to the top alternating croutons and Parmesan cheese, AND a cheese sandwich with no veggies on it. OR she would get a small salad, COVERED in croutons, like a whole layer of them, and then the nastiest, sweetest dressing she could find and of course more cheese... and then a cheese sandwich on the side. Oh, did I mention she would get a side of baguette with either order, yeahhh.... I don't get it. Oh, then she was going to start walking because she wanted to get healthy, bought a pair of hundred dollar running shoes she couldn't afford, and I'm pretty sure she just never used them. Did I mention she had Fibromyalgia?

/rant

I've never understood vegetarianism. I'm mostly a carnivore, and usually end up making an ass of myself around vegetarians.
    Stories like this makes me so so sad and incredibly frustrated.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Well done sticking to you plan...I am not sure "mom" will ever get it...part of being a mother I think....lol.

Re your comment on vegetarians not eating vegetables....it is so true with all the vegetarians I have met recently. One even commented that I was setting a bad example for here as I ate my carrots for a snack.

B. Knight is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamorama View Post
    Stories like this makes me so so sad and incredibly frustrated.
    By the way, I forgot the punchline to that story. After losing about 30 pounds on a primal diet, she told me she was worried about me because I was eating so much red meat. I managed to ignore her and not go off on her own eating habits. I even had bloodwork done to show I was perfectly fine, as if the weightloss wasn't enough. /eyeroll
    "You don't have forever to change yourself."
    Stefan Molyneux
    Freedomain Radio

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
    Mark Twain

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    lmao! i was a total veggie-hatin' vegetarian xD
    i still hate the majority of veggies, but at least I eat them more now than I did as a vegetarian!

and yep, mothers generally don't get it :C