Thread: Hello! page

Beauty is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

I everyone! I'm new to this forum and thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a Canadian woman, married, with a 2-year old son--still breast feeding. Our residence is in central Finland, but we're living in the UK for 5 months while I do an internship. I'm 30 years old, 5'6.5 and 133-ish pounds.

I found out I have celiac disease in April of 2009 and went on a gluten-free diet. That helped for about a week, then the bloating and wind and a host of other ailments returned. I eliminated more and more foods until finally, in December, I realized I was very close to following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD), which is similar to primal except it was created for the sake of healing the walls of the intestines and reviving a healthy gut flora. Then I found out about the Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) diet, which is the same, except it has some better suggestions, like eating fermented vegetables. At the turn of the year I started reading this site, and so I'm happily finding good suggestions and reassurance through this forum.

In my view, the primal perspective, with the exercise protocol and frequent focus on weight loss is a little more hardcore than SCD/GAPS, sometimes in a good way. I find Mark's approach to be (understandably) male oriented, whereas GAPS/SCD have a more healing and gentle approach. I like both approaches and find them complimentary.

In that first month following the GAPS/SCD I felt much better, I knew I was on the road to healing. I also lost about 4 pounds, which brought me down to my ideal weight. A lot has happened in the month of January for me, including a temporary move to the UK, my son, husband and I getting ill, and starting a new job. Perhaps it is not surprising then that I gained a good 8 or so pounds!!!

I think I made the mistake of thinking that I could and should eat an unlimited amount of fat. At the same time, I increased my calories by trying out baking some almond-flour breads and loaves, which I totally binged on.

So now, I'm adjusting a few things. 2 sausages instead of 4; more low-carb veggies instead of calorie dense nuts, and only making a 'bread' loaf once a week. I've also started writing down what I eat. I'm not usually so concerned about my weight but it really seemed to be spinning fast out of control. I need to get a grip quick!

Also, our new location is on a steep hill, surrounded by other steep hills. So I've started hill sprinting, and I love it! I've been a runner since I was 15 , so this gets me out of comfort zone. I've also been doing various forms of yoga since I was 15, and I continue.

I'm so happy about this forum. I'll have to be careful not to spend all day on it. There are so many good ideas, and helpful people! I'm grateful!

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Welcome! Great story, and it sounds like you're on the right track with your recent diet and workout changes.

I'm intrigued by your observation that MDA has a more masculine "feel" -- I suppse that's probably quite true, by comparison to sites written almost exclusively for women. At the same time, I've always felt like this site applies fully to me, as a female -- but then, I'm a bit the rough and tumble, high-energy type.

Glad you posted! Stick around and enjoy.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid