Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fat + Carbs = Recipe for Disaster? page 2

brahnamin is offline Senior Member

Hrm.

@ SassaFrass

See, that's what I was thinking might be the case. Because it is going to contribute to your overall calories without giving you the benefit of lowered insulin (since you're still sucking in carbs) and there is little chance you won't overeat since carbs create cravings that have little or nothing to do with actual hunger (so you bypass the satiety benefit of lots of fat, too).

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member

Somewhere else I read don't eat high fat and high carb together particularly if its also a low protein meal.

If you do the carb cycling its recommended that when carbs high, fats are low.

Conan Guest

I'd like to see the science behind that. My understanding of the science has always been that fat reduces the insulin response, even in junk food like m&ms. In fact, you can easily see the insulin reducing effect of fat by looking at the gi index of carbs with and without fat. Maybe mark's point is that elevated insulin levels from high carb diets make it easier for all excess calories to be stored as fat. I think the science is pretty clear that fat lowers insulin response.

No, I can't find the EXACT quote from his book, but he states that the science behind it is (simplistically) that the insulin drives the fat directly to the fat cells.

I will look more into it, but it really caught my attention, since he was talking 'science' (my FAVORITE topic ;-)

Conan Guest

I agree. Insulin drives fat directly into fat cells. However, it can also drive carbohydrate and protein into fat cells so I disagree with the notion that eating low fat and high carbs is somehow better than adding some insulin lowering fat to a high carb diet.

Conan Guest

Here is a link to a study suggesting that fats may help control insulin levels on a high carb diet:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/69933.php

'The findings suggest that consumption of pistachios with a carbohydrate-rich meal significantly lowered the d blood glucose response. As consumption of pistachios increased, the blood sugar lowering response was enhanced. In addition, when pistachios were consumed alone, the rise in blood glucose was minimal.

The researchers also monitored the effect of pistachios consumed with different common carbohydrate foods on postprandial glycemia, or blood sugar levels after eating. The addition of pistachios to a number of other commonly consumed carbohydrate-rich foods such as mashed potatoes, pasta and rice also resulted in significant reductions in the blood sugar response, compared to when these foods were eaten alone."

Nice concern has been put forward, it is all perfect and doesn't require any extra addition..

Shelly smith

=======================

<a href="//www.trainwithmeonline.com"" rel="dofollow"">

workouts</a>

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

SPAM - Mark, these comments like from shelly123 have been popping up.. usually with 3 digits at the end of the username, always with a full (fake) name in the comment, adn that "workouts" link at the end of the comment.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member

Funny thing is, the knucklehead hasn't checked his links. They're dead. Mark's site has a funny little glitch that causes [a href] links to tank if you put them in in the usual fashion. Dunno if that was intentional or just a quirk of programing, but I stumbled over it the first few times I posted links here, but I found the fix [which I won't post here on the off chance that our spammer actually reads the posts - though I doubt that very much].

Mark Sisson is offline Administrator

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Thanks, FlyNavyWife, for the spam notice. I'll try to fix this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast