Thread: Kidney problems and high protein intake page

sebzzz is offline Member

Primal Fuel

I'm having lots of problems with my health and it has been so for years now.

I'm glad I discovered paleo/primal eating, it helped, but I'm still dealing with a leaky/inflamed gut with malabsorption problems witch leads to all sorts of other problems.

However, its gotten worse in the last couple of months. I got the results of urine tests and it turns out I got a small amount of protein in my urine, witch indicate kidney related problems. The amount of protein is very low but the doctor wants to test me again in a couple of weeks to see if there is a progression.

I am now confused as to how to eat properly. If I eat lots of carbs (even good carbs like fruits), my digestion gets worse probably because of my leaky gut mixed with candida problems. However, if I tend towards low carbs, I easily get into ketosis and see other weird problems happening (probably because of malabsorption I get even less carbs then what I consume). Also, on low carbs, I get more proteins witch is supposed to be bad with kidney problems.

So, on moderate to mid-high carbs, I get digestive problems, bloating, irritation and my guees is that this could make my problems worse and on low carb I get in ketosis and higher protein witch could also make things worse.

Is there anybody out there with an opinion on that and that could give me tips on where to navigate nutritionally from now on, I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks!

Get great paleo diet lifestyle tricks, recipes and cooking tips. My contribution to the paleo movement.

OnTheBayou is online now Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

When I was young, every urine test showed albumin in my urine for many years. It sort of fixed itself with age.

I'm not so sure that some protein "leakage" isn't normal, it's probably a matter of degree. I had blood and urine work done in October. The protein in the urine was described as "Trace." I don't know how that compares with your results, but my doc didn't bat an eye.

(Nor did she ask how my lipid panel came out so damned well, ha ha. Paleo, honey, paleo.)

Whatever your exact problem is, I doubt if you can find any diet better than paleo for anything that is diet correctable. I might suggest - heck, I will! - keep your protein around .5 gram per pound of Lean Body Mass and you should have ample protein for a normal middle of the road lifestyle.

Oh, and "stressing the kidneys from eating too much protein" has been pretty well debunked. Sorry I have no references.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

What ranges are you speaking of? For instance, do you go into ketosis without being under 50 grams of carbs per day? There should be a middle ground for you between eating a lot of fruit/carbs and being in ketosis. Mark's Carbohydrate Curve (you can find it in the "Primal 101" section of the website) shows ketosis as 0-50 grams for most people, 51-100 as the middle ground for weightloss, and 101-150 as easy maintenance. You can fit big salads, veggies with every meal, and even a piece of fruit or two into that 150 gram limit, which a lot of people consider "high" around here.

I don't know if that's super helpful, but just wanted to make sure you knew it's not an all or nothing type thing. You should be able to avoid ketosis if you want without eating a lot of carbs.

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

sebzzz is offline Member

Thanks for the tips!

I guess a good bet is to find where the edge is in terms of ketosis and carb intake and staying just a bit over that edge.

It looks like carbs like spaghetti squashes doesn't cause the same digestive problems as fruits, so I'll stick to what works for now.

I found a new product just out that is supposed to help with kidney function. It's a probiotic especially formulated to feed on the waste product that goes in the colon from the bloodstream helping the kidneys by giving them less work to do. Seems pretty sci-fi to me and not very paleo, but might be a good idea to check it out if there seems to be no risk. The product is called Kibow Biotics.

Get great paleo diet lifestyle tricks, recipes and cooking tips. My contribution to the paleo movement.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

sebzzz spaghetti squash is amazing, you should eat that anyway Put some homemade marinara and spicy sausage over spaghetti squash and you've got a good amount of carbs and a DELICIOUS meal!

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan