Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lab results...insight needed! page

Juliemama is offline Senior Member

Question Lab results...insight needed!

So I had my first grown up physical. Here are my lipid #'s
    Does the normal range apply to Paleo/Primal folks?

HDL "good cholesterol" = 97, Normal range 40-60
    LDL "bad cholesterol" = 99, normal range 90-120
    Triglycerides = 36, normal range 100-150
    Total cholesterol = 203
    Dr. not concerned in the least. See you next year (yeah right!)

Info, I am 38 y/o female, 5'1 1/2" usually 115 lbs, I just quit smoking (for the LAST time) and packed on an additional 15 lbs in 6 weeks, no joke...the extra weight is all in my belly and breasts, hoping its just fluid I can drop quickly. I have been "treating" myself for not smoking, and under a lot of stress. Any suggestions for getting rid of that junk would be appreciated.
    Feel perfectly healthy and strong.
    Is there a problem with my #'s? Is it possible to have triglycerides too low? I haven't looked this up yet...hoping for insight from my Primal friends!
    My Thyroid, electrolytes, kidney function tests, liver function, and blood counts were "normal"
    I wish I had a baseline to compare to, I have been eating this way for 3 years, at least!
    Thanks all!

dado Guest
    you want some insight? you're on death's door.

That's not nice, for real?

dado Guest
    anyone unable to lead themselves is going to suffer the leadership of another. someone cool and hip said that, but that does not matter; universal truths float in the air for the grabbing.

much has been said on this forum about cholesterol numbers, and the gist i gather is that they are meaningless.

alg2435 is offline Senior Member
    If you're not smoking, and you are eating paleo, then you are NOT at death's door. I'd suggest not treating yourself if you want to go back to your normal weight. I can't give you any insight on your lab results, but if you search the forums, I'm sure you'll find some answers! Good luck to you!

LOL, thanks Dado, for the insight. I was looking for feedback, not to be "led". I have always done my own thing and listened to myself. Hence my first physical at age 38, and this lifestyle. If it ain't broke, and all that. I was prompted to have one done so I could keep the "primary" Dr. I preferred on my insurance for my husband and myself, not because I had any health issues. My numbers just didn't jive with "normal", and I know there are folks on here who get tested religiously once a year....who might be able to put things in perspective. J

Fletch666 is offline Senior Member
    "anyone unable to lead themselves is going to suffer the leadership of another."

True.
    However, anyone unwilling to ask for help or seek education is a moron.

A very quick look at the mayoclinic.com didn't come up with anything about low triglycerides being bad.

twa2w is online now Senior Member
    Your numbers are awesome. Always good to see HDL higher than Triglycerides. Total cholesteral may be meaningless but the individual numbers are not. It would be nice to have the mix of LDL but not likely to matter much, given your HDL TO Tri ratio.
    Try changing your treat from food to something else - like a weekly massage or a nice foot soak or something along that line.
    Cheers
    J

Thanks twa2w, The Doc noted on the report that the trigs were lower than normal, but that was ok. :/ Is lower than normal better? I have no idea, the random info I have picked up is from low carbers...this is where I usually end up without trying, even eating sweet and white potatoes, lots of veggies, a random serving of rice, some fruit, but I guess I gravitate towards berries and such...not as carby as bananas I suppose.
    I just found out that my kid (age 7, I also have a 9 yo) is going to be ok after all, I have been on eggshells waiting for her pathology report/ biopsy/ ultrasound for a few weeks...(mass in her groin) turned out to be harmless...DEEP BREATHS!! Whoosh....Happy Thanksgiving!
    Last edited by Juliemama; 11-22-2011 at 08:13 PM.

Motorhead is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I would kill for your numbers. Another point to consider, since the Triglycerides are so low, the LDL which is calculated, may be overstated as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast