Thread: Whey in Homemade Mayo page

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member

Whey in Homemade Mayo

Primal Fuel
    I just made some homemade mayo and wanted to add some whey (drained from yogurt) to extend it's life beyond a few days. I discovered that I only had about 1 and not quite 1/2 Tablespoons of whey. I was going to add it to a little under 1 1/4 cups of mayo. (2 egg yolks, 1 cup oil, mustard, lemon juice and salt). Its been sitting on the counter for about 20 minutes so the whey can develop. If its enough whey I'll leave it out for 7 hours. If this isn't enough whey I'll put it in the fridge and use it up. Could someone reply quickly if you know?

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    How long do you want to keep it for? I made some and added some whey - only a couple of teaspoons - and left it out most of the day. I was planning on keeping it for a fortnight to see how it lasted - but I used it all up within four days so I never did find out.

My thinking was, that when I used to make sourdough bread, a very small amount of starter seemed to make a better loaf than a larger amount of starter. Similarly with water kefir, I find that tablespoon of the starter things make a better kefir than using a larger amount. So I reckoned that the same would hold true of whey.

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    I hoped the mayo would remain good for a couple of weeks. Actually, I think it is supposed to last longer than that. I'll use most of it up in chicken salad so it won't be around that long anyway. Since I don't eat sandwiches anymore I won't be spreading it on bread. I just didn't feel there was enough whey for the amount of mayo I made.