Thread: Veggies page

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member

Veggies

Primal Fuel
    Last week's veggie post got me to thinking about how to eat more. It's not that I don't like them, I love most veggies, actually. I tend to limit the non-primal veggies not just for the diet's sake, but because I can't eat a lot of them due to intolerance. Those that don't bother me I still eat, like peas and green beans, although not all the time. So I'm looking for new veggies that have either never really been a part of my diet or new ways of cooking them. Also, fairly easy recipes that can be kept and snacked on during the day would be great. For instance, I just found this recipe Pumpkin hummus which I'm going to try to figure out how to replace the chickpeas. I also made parsnip fries last week, which were really yummy, although a bit dry. Probably need to add more fat next time. And I love roasted veggies, especially squash. Other suggestions?

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    a lot of folks substitute chickpeas in hummus with zucchini. it's fairly good, I've tried it before. the people whom i've made it for said it was tasty too

have you tried mashed root veggies? or even cauliflower mash? tastes great with lots of butter

you could try kale chips too, those are tasty and crunchy. a great snack, just be sure to check your teeth before talking to anyone

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I like cauliflower mash. Not tried root veggie mash but both butternut squash and pumpkin are quite good mashed. I've been meaning to try kale chips but always forget. I'll have to pick some up tomorrow. Now I'm inspired to experiment with different veggies for hummus. I have a couple of sweet potatoes. I bet a lot of root veggies would make a decent hummus. Zucchini sounds like a possibility, except that it's got more moisture. Maybe more like a baba ganoush.

alg2435 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JennaRose View Post
    a lot of folks substitute chickpeas in hummus with zucchini. it's fairly good, I've tried it before. the people whom i've made it for said it was tasty too

have you tried mashed root veggies? or even cauliflower mash? tastes great with lots of butter

you could try kale chips too, those are tasty and crunchy. a great snack, just be sure to check your teeth before talking to anyone
    I L.O.V.E. cauliflower mash and kale chips.

Others things I love are 'french fried' green beans, pumpkin pudding, salad (so many different ways! It's my favorite dish ever), sauteed veggies in breakfast omelletes, and carrot sticks with almond butter and raw honey for a quick snack.

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbone View Post
    Zucchini sounds like a possibility, except that it's got more moisture. Maybe more like a baba ganoush.
    If you grate it, then squeeze it with a towel or a colander, you can get the moisture out

activia is offline Senior Member
    How about parsnips? Eggplants cooked in oil? Turnips/cabbage in a stew.

Chochobo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    how would u make hummus without the tahini all the recipes call for it
    "Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we often might win, by fearing to attempt." -- William Shakespeare

my weight loss story...
    started @400+pounds
    CW: 191lbs 15%BF
    PB: 158lbs 10%BF 33in waist
    UD2(6 weeks): 168lbs 9%BF 31in waist
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread39123.html