Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the curse of the evening binge page

jazzno is offline Junior Member

i have a problem. i call it the curse of the evening binge. maintaining primality throughout the day is usually not overly difficult (of course some days are harder than others.) BUT...as soon as i'm home from work i'm ravenous and ready to eat as much of any bad food as i can cram in my face....which i promptly do on some occasions. SO i guess my question is...am i the only one afflicted with this curse? how do i overcome it? i'm sure it's related to stress levels at work/emotional eating/i'm not as primal as i think i am during the day...any tips are welcome. help!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I was going through that the last month or two. I stayed Primal but I ate. A lot.

Mine was very much stress related. After quitting my 2nd job I haven't had any urges to binge.

I would suggest looking at ways to deal with your stress. That was the culprit in my case.

Mr.M is offline Senior Member

eat more saturated (animal) fat; if you're binge-eating it typically means you're not satisfied. You might be undereating as well.

What do you eat for breakfast/lunch?

elorajade is offline Senior Member

Are you eating enough? I notice on days when my calories are too low, and especially when I don't get enough protein, I get "snackie" at night. But hey, when I do, I'll grab some yummies and have at it.

Start with getting rid of the crap in your cupboards, reach for an apple dipped in almond butter, beef jerky, boiled eggs, carrots dipped in PB. There are tons of alternatives.

I got rid of the garbage, lemmie tell ya, there is NOTHING better than seeing my 6 year old come home from school hungry and ask for an apple in almond butter or to reach for almonds.

I had to come to grips with the fact that I am in charge of the food that comes into the house, so I simply won't buy garbage anymore.

SW: 235
    CW:220
    Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
    Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
    Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
    Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

jazzno is offline Junior Member

breakfast is usually 3 eggs fried in olive oil and some bacon. lunch is a big salad (romaine, radicchio and baby spinach) with grape tomatoes, shredded cheese and a vinaigrette dressing of some kind. sometimes i'll add broccoli, avocado or some baby carrots if i have them. sometimes i'll add some chicken or tuna. that's usually followed by either some strawberries and blueberries or a sugar-free dessert, or nothing. i'll have a handful of almonds either before or after lunch. my normal dinner would be a protein (steak or chicken usually) and a pile of steamed veggies of some kind followed by a sugar-free dessert. (point of reference: i'm a 31 year old male. about 5'10" and 165lbs.)

@elorajade - i think you're def. on to something there...there's way too much garbage in my cupboards!

Mr.M is offline Senior Member

might be the fruits & sugar-free deserts. I used to binge a little bit when I would allow myself a banana for a post-dinner dessert. the almonds sometimes drove me to hunger as well.

Sounds kinda light on the calories from what you say.

elorajade is offline Senior Member

Check out spark people or fit day, then you can do a quick check of your calories, fat and protein amounts. I bet you are way under for calories. I agree with Mr.M, that salad even for instance, it's a must to add more protein to it. I notice I have a mid afternoon crash if I just eat salad and no meat.

SW: 235
    CW:220
    Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
    Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
    Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
    Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

Have a satisfying Primal dinner and then brush your teeth immediately afterwards. The minty taste in my mouth discourages me from eating for a few hours, and then it's time for bed anyway.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Even better than tooth-brushing: Listerine. That stuff is NASTY.

I agree re clearing out all non-primal options from your kitchen and tracking your food intake for several days to be sure you're eating enough. Add some tuna to that salad!

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Shine is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Eat bacon at night. If you have a sweet tooth, sprinkle it with cinnamon while it is frying. (It may sound odd, but I swear that it is delicious.)

If that does not work, skip the vinaigrette dressing in favor of straight olive oil and vinegar, and nix the sugar-free dessert.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast