Thread: Chicken Broth twice page

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member

Chicken Broth twice

Primal Fuel
    I'm making chicken bone broth in the pressure cooker. When its finished could I drain the stock, put the bones and veggies back in the pressure cooker, and water and hope to get another batch of good broth? Doing this on a day when the family is at work and I have the week off. One member dislikes the smell of the broth so I plan to get a bunch backed up in the freezer.

It's a law of diminishing returns. Each successive batch will be weaker. What you could do is run a second batch, then mix it with the first to average out the strength of flavor and nutritive components. Beyond a second batch, I doubt there's much value left to extract.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.

OperaDivaMom is offline Senior Member
    When you do the second batch, add some apple cider vinegar. The vinegar helps leach all the minerals from the bones.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by OperaDivaMom View Post
    When you do the second batch, add some apple cider vinegar. The vinegar helps leach all the minerals from the bones.
    I make sure I add Apple Cider Vinegar everytime I make broth. I just wondered if it was really worth the effort to try to get a second healthy batch of broth out of the once-cooked bones. It might work with beef bones. Would the depth of the color (chicken or beef) and if the broth gelled be a good indication?