Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone use a Pressure Cooker??? page 2

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I had a Farberware 6qt which I killed in about 5 years and a Deni 8qt that maybe lasted a year. I finally gave up on the electrics and got a Kuhn Rikon stovetop model.

I have heard good things about the Cuisinart, though. I just find I really need an 8qt. Considering you can only fill them 2/3 max, 4qt just isn't big enough when I want to make a big batch of stock or something.

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanessa120 View Post
    I got a Fagor Pressure Cooker this summer and seriously use it everyday!!!! Love it!
    The "borrowed" one I'm using is a Fagor too. Its wonderful for making stock.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I am a kitchen gadget junkie, and I had been bugging my boyfriend to get out his pressure cooker and show me how to use it. Last night, we made a big pot roast with veggies.

Here's the thing - I had accidentally bought a HUGE chunk of beef from the butcher, so I cut it in half and cooked the first half last week. It was... okay. A little tough.

We pulled the other half out of the freezer yesterday morning, thawed it in cold water and cooked it in the pressure cooker last night. AMAZING! Same piece of meat but a huge difference - super tender, falling apart, and the carrots were even super soft. His pressure cooker is an old one, very low-tech and probably 15 years old.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    To each his own, but I wouldn't use a pressure cooker. They use high temperature and high pressure, which results in denatured proteins and can damage vitamins. Slow and steady wins the race!
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

tapper47 is offline Senior Member
    I made Mark's beef stew in the pressure cooker. Whoa, that is some great eats.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I like my pressure cooker for saving time and I use it fairly often - nothing beats it for convenience. However, I will say that flavor wise nothing beats properly browned meat that is then cooked long and slow in a heavy dutch oven.

I have an all electric house and cooking low and slow is expensive. The pressure cooker cuts a lot of time so I save on energy and have really good eats.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I wonder how a crock pot compares in electricity usage.

sweetpoison is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tradawg View Post
    To each his own, but I wouldn't use a pressure cooker. They use high temperature and high pressure, which results in denatured proteins and can damage vitamins. Slow and steady wins the race!
    I thought I had heard something about how it damages "something"!. I just cant seem to find it when I google on the internet so I thought it was just a "story" going around.

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyEater View Post
    I wonder how a crock pot compares in electricity usage.
    A crock pot is 110 but an electric stove is 220. So a crock pot is fine but a pressure cooker is even better. Instead of 8 hours I cook for 35 minutes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12