Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A question concerning pre-diabetes/diabetes page

docfitch is offline Junior Member

A question concerning pre-diabetes/diabetes

Primal Fuel
    My last fasting blood glucose was @ 120. My dr. is thinking hard about suggesting meds. (I have been stalling him). I understand that paleo (primal?) is supposed to regulate blood sugar, but how does eating fruit fit in. I have been pretty much fruit free for quite a while. Should I stay this way and hope the lower carb intake helps, or does fruit fit into the equation. Any other diabetics have solutions?

Ken

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    I work as a trainer for medical clients(mostly). LC primal (no fruit) and heavy resistance work will cure a 120 BG in a short time. I've seen people go from much higher than that to below 100 in weeks or (from 200's) a few months.

If I remember correctly, damage doesn't start till 140, so you have some room.

Thanks. That's encouraging. I have slacked off going to the gym for the past couple of months.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Are you overweight? How old are you?

Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    Are you overweight? How old are you?
    I am 61, not way overweight. At the moment, I am hovering around 170 (I would like to be 160-165).

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    I used to record my morning fasting BG levels in the 110s-120s, despite a mostly-primal (80/20) lifestyle. For me, it took cutting out all grains, legumes & alcohol, and most fruit, and regular intermittent fasting, but in less than 3 months, I recorded my morning fasting BG in the low-to-mid 60s.

I would recommend cutting out fruit while you're in the initial stages of healing. Once you're able to consistently record normal fasting BG levels, you should be able to reintroduce some fruit into your diet with no problems.

If I remember correctly, damage doesn't start till 140, so you have some room.
    Depending on the source, I've actually seen that it's the *postprandial* BG that shouldn't ever get above 140. According to this site (which does cite various studies), any time BG goes over 140, it causes permanent organ damage:

What is a Normal Blood Sugar?

nerve damage occurs when blood sugar levels rise above 140 mg/dL after meals or fasting levels are >100 mg/dL
    Research Connecting Organ Damage with Blood Sugar Level

A fasting BG of 140 would definitely be considered unhealthy.
    Last edited by healthseekerKate; 11-21-2011 at 10:39 AM.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by healthseekerKate View Post
    Depending on the source, I've actually seen that it's the *postprandial* BG that shouldn't ever get above 140. According to this site (which does cite various studies), any time BG goes over 140, it causes permanent organ damage:

What is a Normal Blood Sugar?

nerve damage occurs when blood sugar levels rise above 140 mg/dL after meals or fasting levels are >100 mg/dL
    Research Connecting Organ Damage with Blood Sugar Level

A fasting BG of 140 would definitely be considered unhealthy.
    Yes, things start going bad at 140, whether fasting or postprandial. But not that bad that quick. They have time for primal to work before trying meds.

jfrendek is offline Senior Member
    The numbers go down every year I think. It's like cholesterol and BP. It just can never be low enough for your Doctor.

PrimalCon New York
    Yes, things start going bad at 140, whether fasting or postprandial. But not that bad that quick. They have time for primal to work before trying meds.
    I completely agree -- a primal lifestyle is definitely the solution for too-high BG levels, and I would absolutely avoid pharmaceuticals.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast