Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most concise way to explain how Wheat is killing us? page

McChunky is offline Member

Most concise way to explain how Wheat is killing us?

Shop Now
    When people ask me what I'm doing with my "diet", I usually say I'm focusing on eating whole, unrefined foods and avoiding wheat/gluten/sugar and seed oils.

I usually steer away from talking about low-carb, omega 3 / omega 6 balance, systemic inflammation, gut health because people who are asking for the first time look completely bored and lost.

The wheat thing is obviously the biggest obstacle to people's thinking since avoiding the other things make sense in general.

Have you found a concise, quick approach to this without overwhelming the person or just saying, "I'll give you some books" ;-)

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    This thread will be lacking because there is no real world evidence that wheat is killing us...because its not.

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    Wheat contains compounds that strip our bodies of the minerals it needs, like calcium. In addition, it has been modified to contain several proteins that irritate the immune system. I feel better when I do not eat wheat.

End of story.

Sulamar is offline Junior Member
    If you want to look at the devastating effects of wheat then look no further than most third world countries like Chad, Ethiopia, or the Congo where their food intake is mostly wheat supplied by the U.N. under the World Food Program.

Too many people are hungry in the world and with 30,000 people dying daily from hunger (almost a billion don't eat daily) alone wheat has it's place in this world. We are fortunate enough to be able to eat optimally here in developed countries where food is in abundance and we can enjoy meat and vegetables.

Is wheat killing people? Quite the contrary, it's saving lives. Do these people have a high quality of life? Absolutely not! Due to this I don't go out of the way to demonize wheat because I know how important it is to the world. But I want to live optimally so I avoid the stuff.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by McChunky View Post
    When people ask me what I'm doing with my "diet", I usually say I'm focusing on eating whole, unrefined foods and avoiding wheat/gluten/sugar and seed oils.

I usually steer away from talking about low-carb, omega 3 / omega 6 balance, systemic inflammation, gut health because people who are asking for the first time look completely bored and lost.

The wheat thing is obviously the biggest obstacle to people's thinking since avoiding the other things make sense in general.

Have you found a concise, quick approach to this without overwhelming the person or just saying, "I'll give you some books" ;-)
    NO ONE is going to believe YOU or ME about the dangers of wheat. Send them to this web site:
    Wheat Belly | Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight
    Low Carb Age Wheat Belly Book Review Low Carb Age

People brainwashed by a lifetime of eating "Heart Healthy" Grains, the "Food Pyramid" and their doctors orders to eat more "Healthy Grains" are just not going to believe anything we say. Lead by example. IF they ask how you lost weight, tell them you gave up grains, and then refer them to the book, "Wheat Belly," by Cardiologist Wm Davis. Dr. Davis has the credentials to be credible.

Fred
    Last edited by Grizz; 11-21-2011 at 09:44 AM.

jfrendek is offline Senior Member
    I like the person who said they are allergic to grains because it makes their ass big!

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Here's the gist of wheat:

1.) Wheat is full of phytic acid. It binds to essential minerals like calcium, magnesium, phosphorous and many others and prevents our body's absorption of said minerals. This leads to all kinds of wonderful things like osteoperosis, tooth decay and various forms of malnutrition. This is the smallest concern IMO.

2.) Wheat is of a very high glycemic index and causes large swings in blood sugar. When exposed to chronically - like 6-8 servings a day, ahem - it eventually leads to weight gain and often Type 2 Diabetes.

3.) The biggest issue with wheat is the gluten, lectins and saponins in it. These things are evolutionary defense mechanisms of the plant. They punch holes in your gut and turn your intestines into a sieve, literally. It's called "leaky gut". Over time, the condition gets to bad that food literally leaks into the rest of your body. This causes huge amounts of systemic inflammation and an auto-immune reaction. Your immune system sees these food particles as intruders and your body begins attacking themselves. In mild cases, it will manifest as allergies, eczema, psoriasis, acne and arthritis. In worse cases, the intense inflammation could lead to more serious things, like Crohn's disease, heart attack, cancer...all that good stuff.

4.) Wheat has a large amount of omega 6 in it that rapidly oxidizes when milled. The flour you're buying on the shelves goes rancid so quickly it's almost certainly bad before you buy it. Unless you're sprouting and grinding your own wheat berries right before use, you're buying rancid garbage. Oh, and then you're going to further bake rancid flour.

I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons to avoid wheat in addition to this.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    This thread will be lacking because there is no real world evidence that wheat is killing us...because its not.
    Then what is killing us? Ignorance and poor grammar? Please refute my post above.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    I think one big factor in the success in paleo, primal, or low carb diets is simply the elimination of wheat. As I started adding carbs back into my diet, I found sugar and starchy vegetables didn't have a profound effect other than increasing calories, but adding back wheat caused almost instant inflammatory reaction.

I'll wager that when I started primal almost 1 year ago, if I'd have just eliminated wheat I would have gotten nearly the same results.

Study Sheds Light On Gluten Sensitivity - WSJ.com

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Then what is killing us? Ignorance and poor grammar? Please refute my post above.
    What is killing us? Overconsumption of calorie dense foods.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast