Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So rice is cool? page

Bolivar is offline Senior Member

So rice is cool?

Shop Now
    I am getting back into primal after illness- and a month or so of 'normal carby' foods. After feeling like crap, I am getting back into primal goodness.

One thing I did enjoy was my walnut oil egg fried rice. I'd pan fry the raw rice in a bit of walnut oil then slowly add water. Then add whisked eggs. Mmm!

When I was previously primal, the only starchy carbs I would have was a potato after a workout. Well I quite like my rice, so would it be fine to keep?

I am also suffering from a rotator cuff injury (it's all happenin!), but I am doing mild cardio and mild sledgehammer work as exercise, so I won't have that low carb empty glycogen feeling like I do with exercise when I go LC.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Sledgehammer workouts on a rotator cuff tear? Dude.

White rice has gone from the "never" list to the "oh, whatever" list for me and lots of others - it's basically empty starch calories without a lot of vitamins and minerals, or antinutrients / toxins either for that matter. I'm going to have some today with my homemade teriyaki chicken. Couldn't imagine an asian chicken dish without rice to go with it.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

lardomuncher is offline Senior Member
    For most people it is not as the majority go on this diet for weight lose purposes and rice would defeat the point. But, for lean active people I think it's perfectly fine. I go by the "Have you earned yours cabs?" moto. If I'm working out like a mad man, then rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, even some buckwheat are all fair game and even necessary for recovery purposes and glycogen restore.

jfrendek is offline Senior Member
    White rice probably isn't really primal although it's debatable because I believe it's technically a grass and not a grain. White rice is stripped of all value so it will only hurt you by spiking your blood sugar. Basically it's just starch which equals sugar. Unless you really enjoy it and do not have a weight problem I would not bother with it. It is at least cheap if you are on a tight budget.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    IMO, it's a non-issue for healthy people. It's certainly easier on my digestion that "more primal" foods...

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    White rice has gone from the "never" list to the "oh, whatever" list for me and lots of others - it's basically empty starch calories without a lot of vitamins and minerals, or antinutrients / toxins either for that matter.
    It contains phytic acid, which has a strong binding affinity to zinc, iron and other important minerals, thus contributing to mineral deficiencies. The reason we're not as tall now as we were back in the paleolithic age is not because of gluten. It's the phytic acid. That explains why the asian people got smaller too, as we entered the neolithic age. They didn't eat wheat, rye and barley (gluten, phytic acid) but they did eat a lot of rice (phytic acid).

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    It contains phytic acid, which has a strong binding affinity to zinc, iron and other important minerals, thus contributing to mineral deficiencies. The reason we're not as tall now as we were back in the paleolithic age is not because of gluten. It's the phytic acid. That explains why the asian people got smaller too, as we entered the neolithic age. They didn't eat wheat, rye and barley (gluten, phytic acid) but they did eat a lot of rice (phytic acid).
    Pretty much all of the phytic acid in rice is contained in the bran, so this is only a concern for brown rice. It is removed to produce white rice. So white rice is preferable. Also, for those who haven't seen Mark's post: Is Rice Unhealthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    dude everybody knows Asians are short because they're always bowing, wise up Denmark.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Last night for dinner I had seaweed salad with cucumbers and raw tuna and then four roe nigiri sushi pieces. That's how I do rice.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    it's basically empty starch calories without a lot of vitamins and minerals, or antinutrients / toxins either for that matter.
    Yep! To me, rice is the ultimate refeed starch. It's empty starch, high GI, has less anti-nutrients than some fruits and vegetables and has practically no fiber. It's simply to digest, easy on the stomach...if you need post-workout carbs, I think it's the best out there, and I've tried just about everything (try eating 4 sweet potatoes post workout and get ready for a fun bathroom experience in a few hours...not so with white rice!).

It's tough fitting it into a low-carb plan, though. I don't mix it with fat because I only use it post workout where I keep fats as low as possible. If you're making it part of a high fat meal and frying it in walnut oil (I would never heat walnut oil - be very careful as it has a higher PUFA content than most industrial seed oils!), you'd want to consume it in limited quantities and make sure it fits into your carb budget. If I up my dietary fat intake, I need to keep carbs in the 100g range or less to avoid putting on fat or retaining water. If I keep fats in the 30-40g range for the whole day though, I can eat around 300g of carbs or so and be oaky. 100g of carbs isn't much rice, so be careful if you're trying to cut or maintain body fat. In terms of health, though, it's perfectly fine IMO!
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast