Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So rice is cool? page 2

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Pretty much all of the phytic acid in rice is contained in the bran, so this is only a concern for brown rice. It is removed to produce white rice. So white rice is preferable. Also, for those who haven't seen Mark's post: Is Rice Unhealthy? | Mark's Daily Apple
    White rice definitely contains less phytic acid than brown rice. But how much depends a lot on how the rice is processed. Approximately 80% of the phytates are located in the outer bran layer. Obviously, the loss of phytic acid during milling can't exceed that level, and test samples have shown that it is probably closer to 70% (Tabekhia & Luh 1979, Jianfen Liang). So basically you're down to 30% of the original content after dry milling the rice.

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    wise up Denmark.
    That'll be the day hell freezes over!

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    White rice definitely contains less phytic acid than brown rice. But how much depends a lot on how the rice is processed. Approximately 80% of the phytates are located in the outer bran layer. Obviously, the loss of phytic acid during milling can't exceed that level, and test samples have shown that it is probably closer to 70% (Tabekhia & Luh 1979, Jianfen Liang). So basically you're down to 30% of the original content after dry milling the rice.
    Good to know. Thanks for the additional info.

raney is offline Senior Member
    I would say that sauteeing in walnut oil is a larger health issue than the rice. That's a large dose of omega6s you are potentially oxidizing by heating.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I have it in the form of sushi x2 a month, as my payday/post heavy workout ritual.

Sitting around chowing on a big bowl, like back in the day, will definitely stall my ongoing weight loss. For those still in the weight loss phase, go easy if you're not working out heavy. If you're at goal and/or really working your body hard, have yourself a time.

I am particularly sensitive to this grain stuff (face swells, the shape of my nose even changes) and very in touch with my body, and even I can detect no deleterious effect from rice.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    I eat a large amount of white rice once per week in the form of 15-18 orders (30-36 pieces) of nigiri after my Friday workout. It's nothing but awesome as far as I'm concerned. I don't experience any unpleasant issues from it like I would from eating a large amount of bread or other grain food.

Choco, I never experience GI issues from sweet potatoes, skin on or off--if anything I find they help keep me regular. I wonder if you have an intolerance to them?
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    I eat a large amount of white rice once per week in the form of 15-18 orders (30-36 pieces) of nigiri after my Friday workout. It's nothing but awesome as far as I'm concerned. I don't experience any unpleasant issues from it like I would from eating a large amount of bread or other grain food.

Choco, I never experience GI issues from sweet potatoes, skin on or off--if anything I find they help keep me regular. I wonder if you have an intolerance to them?
    Sweet Potatoes give me GI issues as well...

Chochobo is offline Senior Member
    On my refeed day I love nothing better than sushi. I get hooked up at the sushi bar I go to. They know about my low fat day lol. One day the head chef asked me if I wanted unagi(eel) I was hesitant since its pretty fatty. But he said that sea eel was not oily like regular eel. Holy shit it was awesome. Nigiri ftw!
    "Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we often might win, by fearing to attempt." -- William Shakespeare

my weight loss story...
    started @400+pounds
    CW: 191lbs 15%BF
    PB: 158lbs 10%BF 33in waist
    UD2(6 weeks): 168lbs 9%BF 31in waist
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread39123.html

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post

That'll be the day hell freezes over!
    hahaha. Ye I can live with 30%, plus cooking and storage will break some more of it down. If you eat it with veg which contains a bit of vitamin C even better. You don't need to have a diet completely free of phytic acid, just a diet low in it. Plus good gut flora and digestion helps too.

P.S. It's a hell of a lot lower in anti-nutrients than pale foods like nuts!
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muaythaimike View Post
    P.S. It's a hell of a lot lower in anti-nutrients than pale foods like nuts!
    +1

spughy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chochobo View Post
    On my refeed day I love nothing better than sushi. I get hooked up at the sushi bar I go to. They know about my low fat day lol. One day the head chef asked me if I wanted unagi(eel) I was hesitant since its pretty fatty. But he said that sea eel was not oily like regular eel. Holy shit it was awesome. Nigiri ftw!
    I think he was maybe lying a little bit. Sea eel isn't AS fatty as freshwater eel, but it's just as fatty as fish like salmon or black cod (sablefish). Besides which, most sushi places I've been to baste the eel with a sauce that's really high in sugar. Now, I'm not saying it isn't the tastiest thing in the sushi place - because it most definitely is and I'm drooling as I think about it - but it's got just as much fat as mackerel. That's why it tastes so damn good - right up there with the toro...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast