Thread: How much glycogen can does the body store? page

Orchid is offline Senior Member

How much glycogen can does the body store?

Primal Fuel
    A Google search says somewhere around 200-400 in the muscles and 70-100 in the liver, varying depending on gender/size/musculature. I'm curious for myself (but feel screwed already since I'm a firm-bodied 5'9 female, and there are no such things as estimators for people with bodies like mine). In any event, this amount of glycogen doesn't seem like a lot of "space" for carbohydrate -- 200 grams of carbohydrate can be eaten in one meal, at least for me its possible.

Anyone have any wisdom on this?

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    This, or more correctly who much glycogen and how quickly we deplete it, is something that I've been meaning to look into for a while.
    You hear so much about how you need to replenish your glycogen stores immediately after a workout, but I find it hard to believe that your average Joe/Joanne Bloggs is using up that much of their glycogen stores in an hour at the gym...
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Orchid is offline Senior Member
    Right. I know from running that I've bonked/run out of glycogen at 20-ish miles before. That's quite a bit of activity and certainly not ever going to occur on a daily (or even weekly or monthly) basis. We're back to the age-old question of "how much carbohydrate should one eat???" and its not uncommon to hear 150 grams a day, for sure no prob, (as a minimum even) for the athletic, but I wonder where this comes from given the estimates of glycogen storage I'm reading.

I imagine maybe there is something missing from these estimates?: maybe the storage mechanism is more complicated so that perhaps a gram of dietary carbohydrate does not a gram of glycogen make. But I really have no clue...