Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sauerkraut questions???? page

TorMag is offline Senior Member

Sauerkraut questions????

So I wanted to get in on the whole fermented foods kick. I have been very aware of my stomach for the last 10 years or so, it always has a way of letting me know it is around. I have a Komboochs SCOBY growing right now and I also decided to make some Kraut like Mark wrote about here.

How to Make Sauerkraut - Make Sauerkraut at Home | Mark's Daily Apple

Has anyone done this? I put it all together on Wed, and today is Sunday. I tasted it for the first time this morning and it tasted nothing like store bought Sauerkraut. So I guess my first question would be, what is home made Sauerkraut supposed to taste like? If you have made it, how long did you let it ferment?

Thanks

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    Give it a few weeks and then taste.

Grafter is offline Senior Member
    I didn't start tasting it until about a week or so in and then waited another week before I started including it in my meals. I considered the flavor of the kraut I made to be extremely different from store bought kraut (which I found to be limp in comparison). It was somewhat tangy, a bit salty (I think I ended up adding too much as I was trying a bit too hard to get it to make its own liquid) and very crunchy.
    turquoisepassion - I MUST KNOW ALL THE THINGS

Quote Originally Posted by Grafter View Post
    I didn't start tasting it until about a week or so in and then waited another week before I started including it in my meals. I considered the flavor of the kraut I made to be extremely different from store bought kraut (which I found to be limp in comparison). It was somewhat tangy, a bit salty (I think I ended up adding too much as I was trying a bit too hard to get it to make its own liquid) and very crunchy.
    Crunchy it still is...... I was expecting more of a vinegar taste to it.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TorMag View Post
    Crunchy it still is...... I was expecting more of a vinegar taste to it.
    I think a lot of commercial stuff is more like "pickled cabbage" i.e. cabbage pickled in vinegar. My fermented kraut also tastes nothing like that, and I love it because of that.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Mine's been sat in the porch for a week-ish, at about 10-12 deg C.
    I did try some and got mainly "odd cabbage with salt"; another little spoon tasted "fizzy" which I gather is the fermentation in progress.
    I hope it doesn't always taste so salty!
    No mould etc at the moment.

Have you heard about kefirkraut? Sounds interesting.....

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
    Mine's been sat in the porch for a week-ish, at about 10-12 deg C.
    I did try some and got mainly "odd cabbage with salt"; another little spoon tasted "fizzy" which I gather is the fermentation in progress.
    I hope it doesn't always taste so salty!
    No mould etc at the moment.

Have you heard about kefirkraut? Sounds interesting.....
    "odd cabbage with salt" love it, that is pretty much what mine tasted like too. Got to give it some more time.... I'll probably wait one week and try again.

spughy is offline Senior Member
    I do mine in my kitchen... in the summer it's tangy enough in about 7 days, but in the fall/winter it takes more like 2 weeks. We get fresh cabbages year-round here so I don't "need" to make it, but I love it. I find the key to good-tasting kraut is a really, really fresh cabbage - ideally picked that day. It sours nicely, you have nearly zero risk of mold so you can use a little less salt, and the flavour is amazing.

If you can find a copy of Sandor Katz's "Wild Fermentation" it's got great guidelines for making sauerkraut.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    I don't know much about making it, but I do know that if you do decide to make your own please pace yourself while eating. If you eat, for example, six pounds of it in a three day period you will not be happy with that decision.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    I don't know much about making it, but I do know that if you do decide to make your own please pace yourself while eating. If you eat, for example, six pounds of it in a three day period you will not be happy with that decision.
    LMAO.... Sounds like you speak from experience.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast