Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Molasses is very nutritious page 3

Lars86 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Instead of creating a new post, I'm resurrecting this zombie thread to say "Hurrah for molasses!". Been using it after bicycle rides to ward off cramps, in water with 2 tsp. of baking soda. It's working so far. Yay!

What is the purpose of the baking soda? I'm prone to cramps during intense climbing or motocross...

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkd80 View Post
    I always considered primal to be anti-grain rather than anti-carb. Ultimately it is about controlling insulin and having a carb spike once in a while is not going to do the damage that prolonged elevated insulin does. So at the end, no grains and high insulin sensitivity is quite primal and even paleo.
    You know your post caused a bit of a "revelation" on my part regarding carbs/insulin.

First a little background: I was re-reading one of Mark's posts on exercise and inflammation the other day:

The Relationship Between Exercise and Inflammation (and What It Means for Your Workouts) | Mark's Daily Apple

Track your training. Plotted on a graph, the inflammatory responses to your training should resemble a series of peaks, dips, and valleys. If you don’t let your last exercise-induced inflammatory spike recede before exercising again, you’ll only heap more on the pile. If you keep stringing together spikes in inflammation without recovering from the previous one, they start to overlap and that starts to look a lot like chronic inflammation. That gives you a plateau, a mesa of inflammation. Avoid the mesa.
    After just now reading what you wrote, something clicked in my head and made me wonder if things aren't analogous as it relate to carbs/blood glucose/insulin.

Perhaps the key is avoiding the "long sustained" mesas of insulin levels and not worrying as much about the occasional short, steep "peaks" of insulin levels. This mindset would be supported by many people finding success with a "carb re-feed" approach. I've also read that in certain circumstances brief Insulin spikes for a metabolically healthy person are anabolic and are almost necessary in order to grow muscle. So, going even a step further, not only is it not worth worrying about the occasional brief Insulin spike, it may be something that's beneficial.

Just as Mark advocates making the exercise you do a few bouts of "short, but instense" and then everything else low level staying out of the "Chronic Cardio" zone under PBF...for a metabolically healthy person, that sort of pattern for Insulin levels is the way to go as well. A few "short, but intense" sessions of raised Insulin (like one would experience with a carb re-feed) and then everything else geared towards keeping Insulin at a "low level" and avoiding a long sustained periods of continuously elevated "mesas" of Insulin level. That is, staying out of the Insulin level equivalent to "Chronic Cardio -- such as what happens when we follow a CW/SAD: 1) when we snack 2) when we eat "6 small meals a day to keep our metabolism up" 3) when we eat low-fat, which basically means (in context of everything else) we must eat higher, sustained levels of carbohydrates...and the list goes on and on.

On the other side, if we look at ways which would promote more "brief but intense" Insulin levels followed by longer periods of low-level Insulin levels, looking at it in this way supports concepts such as:

-carb re-feeds (already mentioned)
    -IF (eating the same amount of food in a shorter eating window sounds pretty "spiky" to me)
    -carb/protein/calorie cycling...although this is more analogous to Mark's recommendation in PBF that one not fall into a "set" workout routine...life is fractal, mix things up.

I hope that makes sense, because reading your post was a huge light bulb turning on for me. I'm curious if this mindset makes sense to anyone else...
    Last edited by tim_1522; 03-22-2012 at 04:26 PM. Reason: clarification
    Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
    Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

honeypig is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by newlife77 View Post
    Sounds good - just wondering how BSM tastes different to sugar and how much you'd sub for - ie, if you normally need 2tsp sugar, how much BSM would you use? Also, prob wouldn't use it much so does it keep for a while in cupboard?

Thanks
    H x
    I'd try it at the same level--if you like 2 teaspoons of sugar, put in that much blackstrap and see what you think. I don't like my coffee overtly "sweet", just more of a little flavor boost, and use about 1 teaspoon of blackstrap and 2 tablespoons of coconut milk (the canned, thick, high-fat kind you use for cooking, not the stuff that comes in a cardboard carton).

patski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    For those BPers out there - it turns out that molasses is of the most mold-concentrated foods.
    WOW! Really?!
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Dave RN is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Koozie View Post
    I use blackstrap molasses in my homemade sports drink, which was adapted from a recipe Mark posted a while back.
    recipe please!

ToldUzo is offline Senior Member
    Interesting But I would still prefer raw honey, which to me seems more natural. It also has many health benefits!
    Raw Honey for Health
    Take a walk on the wild side.

patski is offline Senior Member
    I believe you'd have to eat a large amount of raw honey to get any nutritional benefit. While with molasses, you do not.

I used to have one tablespoon of bs molasses in hot water for cramps. It really helped.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

ToldUzo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    I believe you'd have to eat a large amount of raw honey to get any nutritional benefit. While with molasses, you do not.
    Yeah but raw honey has some different kind of health benefits than molasses, which just contain the same nutrients as I can get by eating a variety of quality primal foods (giblets, fruit, seafood, seaweed, meat with fat and vegetables). The enzymes, probiotics, antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, antiseptic, antioxidant and antihistamine properties are unique for unfiltered raw honey as I understand it.
    Medicinal Raw Honey: External and Internal Applications | Suite101.com
    Take a walk on the wild side.

Linny is offline Senior Member
    I use a half tsp of BSM in my coffee in the morning. Takes the biter edge out of the coffee and adds just enough sweetness to be enjoyable.

I'm also interested in more information regarding the mold. I've done a google search and it seems the only relationship to mold and molasses is when it's mixed with water and used to water plants.

highaerials36 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just ordered some, yay amazon

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast