Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Molasses is very nutritious page 2

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Molasses Horseradish Mashed Potato Spears Recipe at Epicurious.com

These are awesome- just use an alternative to the veg oil. I have made them with Olive Oil and they are excellent!
    Did you use regular or blackstrap molasses? I only ask as I intend to buy only the blackstrap, for the mineral content mainly.

honeypig is offline Senior Member
    I really like blackstrap molasses in my coffee, or better yet in this Cafe Du Monde - Original French Market Coffee Stand New Orleans - Our Coffee. I was also impressed w/the nutrient profile and figured if I'm going to use a sweetener, this is a pretty good choice. As others have mentioned, it's great in pumpkin dishes (I make a pumpkin and egg sort of pudding w/it) and very good in bbq sauces, not so sweet as some other options.

newlife77 is offline Member
    Sounds good - just wondering how BSM tastes different to sugar and how much you'd sub for - ie, if you normally need 2tsp sugar, how much BSM would you use? Also, prob wouldn't use it much so does it keep for a while in cupboard?

Thanks
    H x
    An English girl who's been on lots of different diets, weight gone up and down but always been a naturalist at heart and have always wondered why "Conventional Wisdom" diets don't allow you to eat red meat and nuts - that are purely natural things?! So feel I've found my niche in the PB/Paleo Lifestyle and really want to make this my way of life for good!!!

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I think I have the blackstrap- need to look!

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    For those BPers out there - it turns out that molasses is of the most mold-concentrated foods.

Rattybag is offline Senior Member
    Im a bit confused why these are ok on a Paleo diet, as its carb count is enormous!
    Protein 2.0g, Carbohydrate 65.0g, Fat <0.1g
    Am I misunderstanding something here?
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattybag View Post
    Im a bit confused why these are ok on a Paleo diet, as its carb count is enormous!
    Protein 2.0g, Carbohydrate 65.0g, Fat <0.1g
    Am I misunderstanding something here?
    Yes, paleo isn't inherently low carb but it can be, it's all a personal choice.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

rkd80 is offline Member
    I always considered primal to be anti-grain rather than anti-carb. Ultimately it is about controlling insulin and having a carb spike once in a while is not going to do the damage that prolonged elevated insulin does. So at the end, no grains and high insulin sensitivity is quite primal and even paleo.

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkd80 View Post
    I always considered primal to be anti-grain rather than anti-carb. Ultimately it is about controlling insulin and having a carb spike once in a while is not going to do the damage that prolonged elevated insulin does. So at the end, no grains and high insulin sensitivity is quite primal and even paleo.
    I've always been of the mindset that it's about food quality, and eating real foods while avoiding processed junk and what not. Even then, I'd be lying if I said I was strict within that mindset, and I'd also be lying if I said the occasional processed food somehow inhibited my goals.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

marteen is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    +1 on molasses as an energy drink alternative. I used Mark's recipe to fuel my marathon. It tasted like @$$ but I'll be damned if it didn't work.
    Makin moves. Makin money. Makin bacon.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast