Thread: Pregnant and not eating enough. What do you do? page

Valkyria is offline Senior Member

Pregnant and not eating enough. What do you do?

Primal Fuel
    I'm only 6 weeks pregnant, and I don't suffer from morning sickness, but I still struggle to eat enough. I've actually lost about 1 kilo, and I don't need to lose weight in the first place ...

I do burp a lot, or feel the need to burp but not able to, and that makes me feel sick. This seems to happen more when I'm hungry, and of course I don't feel like eating then. I've also gone off many things I used to like so it can be hard to figure out what to eat.

I am glad I'm not feeling really sick and throwing up, but feeling like this isn't easy either.
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Proud mother of twin girls!

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    well, i wouldn't worry about it much in the first trimester; the baby doesn't need much more than what you normally eat anyway, and I assume that you are eating some things.

The indigestion i solved using some papaya/pineapple enzyme chewables from trader joes. i didn't use many, but it did help with the symptoms/feelings that you describe.

Otherwise, just eat as healthfully as you can, and don't' worry too much.

earthspirit is offline Senior Member
    I wouldnt worry about it too much. I was so sick in my first trimester I couldn't hardly eat at all and dropped 9lbs (about 4kg metric). You'll feel much better after week 14.

shema is offline Senior Member
    I agree with what others have said - you probably don't have to worry so much in the first trimester.

But if you're concerned maybe focus on eating high calorie foods if you can stomach them...nut butters, coconut butter, coconut milk smoothies, etc. When I need the carbs/calories I love sweet potatoes whipped with coconut milk/heavy cream, butter, and some cinnamon. It's easy and quick.

paleo_hailey is offline Senior Member
    Don't worry. I lost weight in the first trimester due to hyperemesis. It's actually quite common to lose weight! The baby's needs are so small at the moment it can draw from your reserves even if you can't keep anything down.

I'm 25 weeks now and having a no-appetite week... I can go through the whole day without eating anything if I don't think about it. Last week I was eating everything in sight. My appetite seems to come and go with the baby's growth spurts, so I'm not too worried about it.

One thing you do need to keep an eye on is hydration... it's important all through your pregnancy, but especially if you're not eating much. Drink lots of water! I love coconut water now too... I started drinking it a few weeks ago, and notice more energy, less muscle aches, and (TMI alert!) way fewer problems with pregnancy constipation. Which makes eating a little easier

shema is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo_hailey View Post
    D I love coconut water now too... I started drinking it a few weeks ago, and notice more energy, less muscle aches, and (TMI alert!) way fewer problems with pregnancy constipation. Which makes eating a little easier
    That's a great point! Last time I was pregnant I had tons of muscle cramps until someone told me it was probably due to low potassium. At the time I drank pure cherry juice which helped immensely but coconut water is also supposed to be pretty high in potassium...

paleo_hailey is offline Senior Member
    ^ Shema, the coconut water was actually my chiropractor's suggestion. He said he could tell I was dehydrated by how tight my muscles were! I'm amazed at what a difference it has made. I've stopped having twitchy, restless legs at night too. My chiro said that when you're low on minerals (especially potassium, magnesium and calcium) it's harder for your muscles to relax after contracting... for that reason he thinks getting your mineral/water balance in check helps with labor too! He also put me on a calcium supplement.

I drink a fair bit of water so I was surprised when he suggested dehydration, but obviously the minerals were the missing element... I feel like a new person.

ljq309 is offline Senior Member
    I've had two children, both times I lost a few kilos in the first few months due to strange changes in my sense of smell and taste putting me off previously well loved foods. Both times I ended up about 10 kilos heavier at 9 months. Try some different foods but don't worry about it too much, it's highly unlikely to be a permanent thing.
    Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
    Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
    Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
    Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.