Is chorizo primal?

Thanks
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by geofftelforduk View Post
    I know what I would love the answer to be but I just want to confirm:

Is chorizo primal?

Thanks
    Geoff
    If you can find it without all the preservatives and any grain filler, it is.

about
    Τρωγλοδῦται

Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    If you can find it without all the preservatives and any grain filler, it is.
    Seconded. Sausage of all kinds is a pretty good food *if* you can find the "clean" variety without lots of weird fillers. Or make your own with meat, spices, etc.

Red face

I live in southeastern Mass, and we have a high percentage of folks here of Portuguese descent (including yours truly)! What we have is called Chourico (pronounced "shoreese" with a little tongue roll in there!) but is VERY similar to chorizo, so much so, that the
    Italian restaurant I work at, 50 miles away, puts "chorizo" on the menu. Come on. Do it right. Chourico is thicker than chorizo, there is also linguica, similar in flavor. Both usually have milk solids added to the spiced pork, so depending on your sensitivity to dairy, could be Primal or not. I like to group it with any other sausages I consume, if you don't make it yourself, you can't REALLY be certain of all the ingredients or handling...give it a go, its delicious enough as is (with eggs, yum) or as a flavoring ingredient, (think smoke, garlic, hot pepper and paprika), it is available in a large link, small links or ground, and count it as part of your 20% if you must. The Portuguese also do delicious things with blood, blood pudding, etc...waste not, want not...and make delicious wine to go with all of it, after being used IN it...sigh...

Chorizo is just too good ta go without!
    So even if it was bad.... it would slide right into my 20%

The Hempler's Chorizo I bought the other day has "flavorings" on the label right after pork. Make's you go hmmm.

I am going to try some recipes out.
    Anne's Homemade Chorizo
    Authentic Mexican Chorizo Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by Finnabair View Post
    I love chorizo too, but most of it has sodium nitrite, so I can't have as much as I want. Thanks for the link!
    Durp.

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    I love chorizo too, but most of it has sodium nitrite, so I can't have as much as I want. Thanks for the link!
    I've posted this link before, but I'll do so again: I am not convinced nitrites/nitrates are THAT bad for us.

The "No Nitrites Added" Hoax | Michael Ruhlman

I worry about it much less than stuff like corn syrup, modified food starch, and MSG.

Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    I've posted this link before, but I'll do so again: I am not convinced nitrites/nitrates are THAT bad for us.

The "No Nitrites Added" Hoax | Michael Ruhlman

I worry about it much less than stuff like corn syrup, modified food starch, and MSG.
    I'm not saying it IS that bad for most people, but some people (like me and a few other people I've met) get a pretty brutal migraine that lasts for days when they eat it. So we need to be aware of it (along with with celery juice/seed/salt).
    Durp.

I'd definitely keep it in my 20