Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is chorizo primal? page 2

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    I love chorizo too, but most of it has sodium nitrite, so I can't have as much as I want. Thanks for the link!
    I've posted this link before, but I'll do so again: I am not convinced nitrites/nitrates are THAT bad for us.

The "No Nitrites Added" Hoax | Michael Ruhlman

I worry about it much less than stuff like corn syrup, modified food starch, and MSG.

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    If you can find it without all the preservatives and any grain filler, it is.
    Seconded. Sausage of all kinds is a pretty good food *if* you can find the "clean" variety without lots of weird fillers. Or make your own with meat, spices, etc.

Juliemama is offline Senior Member

Red face

I live in southeastern Mass, and we have a high percentage of folks here of Portuguese descent (including yours truly)! What we have is called Chourico (pronounced "shoreese" with a little tongue roll in there!) but is VERY similar to chorizo, so much so, that the
    Italian restaurant I work at, 50 miles away, puts "chorizo" on the menu. Come on. Do it right. Chourico is thicker than chorizo, there is also linguica, similar in flavor. Both usually have milk solids added to the spiced pork, so depending on your sensitivity to dairy, could be Primal or not. I like to group it with any other sausages I consume, if you don't make it yourself, you can't REALLY be certain of all the ingredients or handling...give it a go, its delicious enough as is (with eggs, yum) or as a flavoring ingredient, (think smoke, garlic, hot pepper and paprika), it is available in a large link, small links or ground, and count it as part of your 20% if you must. The Portuguese also do delicious things with blood, blood pudding, etc...waste not, want not...and make delicious wine to go with all of it, after being used IN it...sigh...

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    I've posted this link before, but I'll do so again: I am not convinced nitrites/nitrates are THAT bad for us.

The "No Nitrites Added" Hoax | Michael Ruhlman

I worry about it much less than stuff like corn syrup, modified food starch, and MSG.
    I'm not saying it IS that bad for most people, but some people (like me and a few other people I've met) get a pretty brutal migraine that lasts for days when they eat it. So we need to be aware of it (along with with celery juice/seed/salt).
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

raney is offline Senior Member
    You might be able to find a good butcher that will make some for you, just meat, spices, and casing. Can't hurt to ask if you have a butcher shop or two you regularly pass by.

zstewart123 is offline Junior Member
    make your own in small batches. The reason the put nitrates in it is for preservation.

thaijinx is offline Senior Member
    A few of you have mentioned making your own sausages...

How can I do that (would love to try!) can you post recipes or links, please.

Thanks.

zstewart123 is offline Junior Member
    use a food processor to chop the meat course add seasonings then chop again to mix. There are all kind of recipes online. Just be sure to use or freeze soon that way you don't need preservatives. Personally I have a commercial meat grinder and make 200-300 pounds of fresh sausage at a time. If i just want to make a different kind I just use the food processor.

Motorhead is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zstewart123 View Post
    make your own in small batches. The reason the put nitrates in it is for preservation.
    The reason for the nitrates is to prevent botulism in the smoking/curing process since the meat is in the danger zone (40 - 150 degree F) Not really for preserving the food after smoking/curing. You can make your own sausage without them, but need to use a hot smoker, or cook immediately. When going to a butcher they typically will not add nitrates/nitrites to fresh sausage, only the smoked sausage they process.

skinnybuddah is offline Junior Member
    I'm new here, but is this recipie okay for the primal?

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipe...chorizo-recipe

Looks pretty good, cost effective and seems to store okay which handy.............

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast