Thread: Squash, Beets, and Turnips. page

afsjesse is offline Senior Member

Squash, Beets, and Turnips.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello everyone,

Now that I'm working abroad and have money to spend on diverse veggies for a change, I have discovered the wonderful world of starchy, fibrous vegetables. I have been on a turnip affair for a bit now and bought red beets yesterday. I also have some butternut squash calling my name to be had. I'm wondering how I can properly incorporate this class of veggies into my diet which will not stall or dramatically affect my weight loss? I'm not sure how many carbs they have and I think beets are pretty sugary...

Any thoughts on how to properly enjoy these fine treats would be greatly appreciated. :-)

petriquor is offline Senior Member
    There's probably no one-size-fits-all answer. Low carb seems to be across the board the most effective, but some people do better when they can feed their carb cravings with good sources of carbs like roots/tubers. And even some people who do the whole very low carb/ketogenic diets have seen improvement introducing good carbs occasionally, or when weight loss has stalled (don't ask me about the science behind that, I really don't know other than it might be tangentially related to some sort of hormetic effect).

So in my opinion, I'd say if you're doing low-carb already and you're feeling good and making good progress, might be a good idea to hold off on any changes for now. On the other hand, you may handle them fine, and so long as they don't throw you completely off the rails I don't see a problem with experimenting.

Sorry for the wishy-washy answer but people seem to vary a lot with this.

twa2w is offline Senior Member
    I don't think beets are particularily sugary. I beleive most people believe beets are sugary because they hear of sugar being process from sugar beets but AFAIK these are not teh same beets that we would normally cook for the table. I could stand corrected as I have never researched this

Ande is offline Senior Member
    In order to enjoy them and not have them stall your weight loss just make sure you do know the general carb count and don't go overboard. Since they are sweet and delicious, it could be pretty easy.
    I limit myself to around 50 carbs a day and if I had my usual one serving of fruit along with some starchy vegetables depending on serving sizes, I could definitely go over that. So on the days I want the starch, I just wouldn't have the fruit. If you are more in the 100 gram of carb category, then enjoy!

As far as how to enjoy? I love parsnip puree. Just boil some parsnips (they are like a white carrot) and then blend/process the softened parsnips with butter, cream, salt and white pepper.
    I also love to make roasted root vegetables. Just take your favorites cube them up and roast them in a hot oven (375 is good) with olive oil, salt and pepper and whatever seasonings you like such as rosemary, thyme, and/or oregano. Take them out when they are soft and caramelized. Make a great side dish to roasted chicken.

Oh and here is a link that may help with the carb counts. Grams of Carbohydrates in Vegetables - Carb Counter

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Most root veggies are significantly less carb-y than potatoes too. Here is one link with a list of info from the USDA database (Which you can also search directly!)

Carbohydrate Counts of Root Vegetables - Carb Counts of Potatoes Carrots Turnips Etc

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Mark heartily recommends starchy veg in moderation, and so do many many healthy people. It's fall and that's what is fresh and local and cheap and tasty, besides. I eat them all the damn time - 1/2 a huge butternut squash with my lamb for dinner. I think that counting carbs of fresh seasonal veg and thus limiting them is pretty crazy, as a rule.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/