Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any other solutions before going to Fiber Cereals?? page

CJ4400 is offline Member

Primal Fuel

Hey all,

As you can recall I've been posting/commenting on mostly gut health topics. Well, I tried the probiotics for 2 months, started to make my own kefir, took digestive enzymes, and recently let go of my carb limits thinking that the extra fiber from apples and vegetables will help with more movement in the tracts.

Unfortunately, I just seem to be putting the pounds back on (more easily I might add), and the digestive issue is still there. I'm now about to turn to wheat/bran cereals in order to help with this issue but understand that this isn't very primal (and doesn't help with the carbs)

So, does anyone have any insight they can add? I've seen a few comments along the lines of "your stomach should do everything it needs to", but I need some tangible help. I'm trying to restore gut health but trying to be all primal about it if I can.

Thanks for the support.

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

How many grams of fat are you getting per day? Constipation can be the result of too little fat. Have you tried almonds? A lot of folks find that almonds speed things up too much, so they might be just right for you. And how's your magnesium intake?

FairyRae2 Guest

Is it possible you're regularly ingesting a food you are sensitive to/intolerant of? We can have sensitivities to ANY foods, so it can be difficult to figure out the culprit, and typically involves doing some sort of an elimination diet. Perhaps your problems could be related to that? Just a thought?...

Ditto on the magnesium--and if you do take mag, would you share what supp/form of mag it is? (It can make a difference!)

Good luck!!

CJ4400 is offline Member

Thanks..

Based on other feedback I just started a mag citrate (from a local whole foods market) in powder form. It's only been a few days so I can't truly tell if it is helping. I also started with phsyllium husks.

I used to take in a LOT of fat (EVCO, EVOO, meats, etc.) but that didn't seem to help at all and I started to gain weight after dropping it.

I'm going to give it another week but may have to schedule an appt. I wanted this to be a last resort as the diagnosis from the docs always seems to be drink more water + eat more fiber.

trypleight is offline Junior Member

Too much fiber will also constipate you. On a primal diet it is not uncommon to have fewer movements of smaller proportions. Because you are not eating grains and many other toxins your body has less to discard. Stick with it and trust your body, it will adapt. I would venture to say that the added sugar and carbs from all the fruit you are eating is the issue. Try things like macadamia or pine nuts and avacados. Start your day with a salad like Mark. You are asking for a wonderful case of IBS if you continue with the grains. Trust the body, embrace primal nutrition. This is not a diet it is a new eating lifestyle.

LittleNappingLion is offline Senior Member

@Magnesium issue, too much magnesium (ie not that much really) can have a laxative effect which may be helpful to get things just moving right again. I use Peter Gillham's Natural Calm Magnesium supplement. You can get it plain or a couple no-sugar flavors (they use stevia & organic flavoring). The package says take 1tsp before bed, then 1 in the am. If that's not enough, take 2 tsp before bed, then 1 in the am.

www.calmnatural.com

DEFINITELY also eat more fat too! Coconut oil! Mmm. Fiber is not always the answer, I know from experience. And magnesium & fat have seemed to help alot!

PS also have you tried eliminating dairy, chocolate and any/all alcohol? Try going strict for awhile & see if maybe dairy etc are (not so) secretly causing you some trouble.

I hope this helps!

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

I highly doubt the fiber is the answer to your prayers in this case, but if you really want to give it a try, how about eating some unsweetened coconut flakes? They have quite a bit of fiber and don't require you to consume grains.

I'm sorry I don't recall the original thread you posted, but can you describe the issue in short?

CJ4400 is offline Member

Thank you to everyone for their insight, tips, and even questions. Really appreciated. I'll try to answer everything I can.

I was doing very well on Primal for a few months (given there were some bouts of constipation here and there) and after losing the desired amount of weight by going very little carb (25g/day) I started noticing that I was having bowel movement issues. Then stress from work came in and it got worse.

To correct the issue I started with digestive enzymes and probiotics, along with Kombucha. That had very little effect on the problem. That is when I started to incorporate more veggies and fruits and then the mag/cit thinking that the low carb initiated the constipation due to very little natural fiber in the diet.

I don't consume dairy and I am not allergic to chocolate so that isn't an issue.

I guess I shouldn't go for the fiber cereals... but I would really like to solve this problem. I have been researching flora and gut health. On that note, does anyone know if water kefir has the same effect as regular kefir?

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

Check out the chart on coconut flour fiber:

http://www.healthyfellow.com/114/coconut-flour-the-other-white-flour/

I am able to clear any constipation issues up with a couple tbsp of coconut oil, and find this usually happens if I'm not eating enough vegetables.

Definitely try baking yourself some high protein, high fiber coconut flour muffins before you turn to whole grain cereal.

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

FairyRae2 Guest

Ok, and as a last resort, I've read mineral water can help w/ this...I personally would try and do higher doses of magnesium until I reached 'bowel tolerance' if I was having this issue--magnesium deficiency is VERY common and could be a possibility as well.

Good luck--hope you figure it out quickly!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast