Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaking the Addiction page

Readytolose Guest

Primal Fuel

Hi everyone! I've been lurking for about a year now and decided to try and get support.

I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. There is about 2 feet of snow on the ground 6 months out of the year so nothing much grows here. I started CrossFit (my mate's cousin just opened her own gym - CrossFit Winnipeg!) and loved it but due to my horrible eating habits I had to take a break and regroup (try doing CrossFit after eating nothing but grains and refined sugar all day. Barf, much?)

I need help, people. I've read the books, read the blogs, listened to the presentations. I'm overweight (5'5" and 170 pounds) and depressed. I quit drugs, quit smoking, hell I even quit birth control because it was messing with my hormones. I can't seem to quit sugar with the same "never-look-back" attitude. I need to hear from someone who was been in the same place I am right now. Anyone from a place where it's hard to find local fruits and veggies? I've sucked back gallons of high-end fish oil and tried supplements to level out my blood sugar and alleviate depression.

I am happy to state that we have plenty of farms where I can find grass-fed animals and naturally raised chickens. My case is not a hopeless one, I just need help.

My family does not support me although recently I kind of convinced my sister that grains suck the big one.

What motivates you when there's nothing immediately bad happening? I'm trying to do this to be healthy, not because I'm going to die tomorrow if I don't change my eating habits so there is definitely a lack of emergency. Thanks in advance!

trypleight is offline Junior Member

Your family doesn't need to support you. If you are doing this for health, stick with it. Pessimists can't argue results. Increase your fat intake for energy levels, this will also help with depression. Supplement with at least 5000iu (5g) of vitamin D per day. Keep with the fish oil. As for the sugar issue, buy some stevia from you local store, and some 85% Lindtt dark chocolate. Use these as emergency foods. When you have a craving, eat some chocolate. If you want sugar on something use stevia instead. By increasing your fat and protein intake you blood sugar will remain more consistent meaning less crashes and less cravings. Stay positive, read books, forums, watch videos like Fathead, King Corn, Sugar, and Food Inc. By surrounding yourself with proper information it becomes second nature. When it becomes second nature it becomes a lifestyle. You can't change peoplesinds only your own. People learn by example. Be an example. Oh, and if you can't get local produce, buy whatever you can, embrace the fact that you can buy an orange in the dead of winter even if it's not organic. We are modern cave people and with that come the luxuries of year round out of season produce. Don't get too technical. Cheers!

Asturian is offline Senior Member

Nora Gedgoudas, author of Primal Body - Primal Mind recomends L-glutamine supplements to help with carb cravings.

Nonetheless, trying to quit gradually through sugar replacements (be they fruit or stevia or something else) only strings you along with a higher potential to fall off the wagon. Sugar replacements will continue to trigger neural responses in your brain making it more difficult to free yourself of the sugar addiction. I would suggest the cold turkey approach.

Try the L-glutamine and perhaps self-hyponisis and/or visualization exercises to convince yourself of the evils/toxicity of sugar and their cousins.

“It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

DebFM is offline Senior Member

I was highly carb-addicted and I found that chromium nicotinate (400 mg 2 - 3 times a day) and magnesium (250 mg/day) helped tremendously to crush the carb cravings when I first went primal. Sugar & other refined carbs flush out all the chromium in the body and that plays into the carb addiction. Take the supplements and get rid of anything sweet, including fake sweeteners, as Asturian mentioned. Eat more fat & more green veggies (kale, collards, broccoli, lettuce). I wouldn't worry about the veg being local at this point. You can tackle that one next year.

Good luck & know there's lots of people here to give you encouragement!

elorajade is offline Senior Member

Start with the forks market, ask around to the local farmers that sell their wares there, there is a network, you just have to tap into it.

Any other farmers markets that you have, many run all year long now, and there are a lot of winter veggies that you can get direct.

See if you have any organic supermarkets (Organic Planet is all over, but not where you are), often they have bulletin boards just inside the door where there are local adverts for fresh foods available.

As for the sugar thing, it's a mindset. Go watch 'Sugar; The bitter truth" and Blaylocks lecture on sugar and the brain. It was a wake up call for me.

That's not to say I don't have bad days, today I'm craving chocolate...something sweet. I also didn't sleep well last night due to short people invading my bedspace. But it's been over two weeks since I've had a bad day.

SW: 235
    CW:220
    Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
    Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
    Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
    Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

g2baker is offline Member

@ DebFM &

@ Asturian

How did you find out about this supplementation for carb cravings?

LittleNappingLion is offline Senior Member

Oh, I have a total sweet tooth! I know its all mental & I keep thinking "out damn spot!" um, sugar! Once I ended up eating tons of pistachios trying to get my brain off eating only a tbspn of dark chocolate chips! Mental.

But I've been advised to NOT reward my brain with something sweet when it sends that signal. That includes stevia etc, even gum! So I'm trying now when my brain says, "Mmm, go get yummy sweetness" I first have to try to rationalize and make sure I'm actually hungry etc and make sure it isn't just habit driving me to the cupboard. After that if I really feel that I need that sweet I have to go eat something that is the opposite, fatty protein and salty etc.

Its tough, but day 1 & 2 of being strict about it were the toughest. I'm doing MUCH better now and I'm going for 30 days to try to rebuild this habit of mine.

Considering motivation: You started crossfit right? Why? Do you need motivation to keep yourself fit & healthy? Isn't your own health & happiness righteous motivation enough to keep you at it? No one is questioning your desire to do that! So doing primal is one extra layer to it. You can't become an athlete simply by going through the motions, you have to DO the work. Going primal will give you energy & strength & quick repair time enough to let you hit the work outs hard so you can get fitter & dare I say, happier about it! To give you an example, my ENTIRE crossfit affiliate is doing a 30-day totally clean Primal challenge! I always get the "but why, you're already thin" complaint when i explain this to "outside folks". But its not about being thin! I want to have the best life I can, and that means to me being able to have freedom of movement and freedom from the diseases of poor nutrition which abound!

You deserve to do this and no one has the right to tell you shouldn't do something that will increase your health & vitality right? You wouldn't tell someone that was just diagnosed with cancer that they shoudln't bother with treatment right? Extreme, but same idea.

You can do this! And you can always write in and get the support of umpteen MDA nerds!

Asturian is offline Senior Member

How did you find out about this supplementation for carb cravings?

Page 177 of the book, "Primal Body - Primal Mind" by Nora Gedgaudas.

L-Glutamine, an amino acid, can stop cravings for sweets, starches, and alcohol instantly as the brain is able to use it for temporary fuel source. Should be taken on an empty stomach or sublingually for more immediate effect. Caution should be used for those with cancer as it fuels certain types of cancer.
    “It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

Readytolose Guest

trypleight - thanks for the blunt info. My problem centers around the fact that when I crave food, I crave carbs, or specific junk food and I feel like I'll cry or punch someone if I don't satisfy the craving. It's literally like drug withdrawal. Last night I had a huge steak dinner with mashed-up broccoli/cauliflower and butter and was immediately hungry for sugar after. Any suggestions?

Asturian - I've heard of L-glutamine. I was under the impression that it was the stuff that heals your muscles after a workout (i.e. what protein is turned into). I figured why bother when I have actual protein? I didn't know it curbed cravings. Let me know if I'm wrong here!

DebFM - on the advice of my coach I started taking a multivitamin - did you know women's multi's don't come with chromium, iron and zinc? Only men's do. Women get some crummy amount of zinc and that's it. Stupid! So I'm supplementing my women's multi with chromium until I finish the bottle, and then I'm switching to a men's multi. Thanks for the encouragement! I'm also taking Vitamin C to help with the iron absorption.

elorajade - thanks, I've started looking around at local farmers because I can't stand what is produced at my supermarket. I watched The Bitter Truth just the other day. That's my problem, I watch these things, absorb the knowledge, and then do nothing. You're right, it is a mindset. Although I'm a little more ornery about fructose and haven't touched anything with HFCS in months so it's a start.

LittleNappingLion - I started CrossFit because I couldn't stand walking into a local gym and not knowing what to do. Then my mate's cousin opened her gym last May and offered us a great deal if we joined. I saw results in 4 months. I could do a strict pushup and I improved my 5km run by 3 minutes in less than four months! Unfortunately I KNOW I should exercise and enjoy it, but I just don't. I'd always rather stay home and do nothing.

I hate that "but why, you're already thin" complaint. My family looks at me like I'm nuts for wanting to give up the great taste of sugar and grains when I'm not obese or sick. I'm glad you are succeeding in your goal to be healthful. CrossFit Winnipeg is also doing a clean-eating challenge right now. I'm trying to incorporate it as much as possible into my life.

What is the greatest challenge so far that all of you have faced in regards to eating properly?

Thanks everyone!!

DebFM is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

@g2baker, I've been taking a course in pathophysiology & natural therapeutics for metabolic syndrome/insulin resistance. Those 2 particular supplemtns are what was recommended to help clients through the carb cravings stage to break the carb addicition. It's worked for me, my mom and two others I've been working with. Makes quitting carbs sooo much easier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast