Thread: Does yoghurt in the morning make anyone else tired/prematurely hungry? page

SophieE is offline Senior Member

Question Does yoghurt in the morning make anyone else tired/prematurely hungry?

Primal Fuel
    When I eat yoghurt before midday I get really tired and/or hungry soon after. It's just a normal full-fat, no added sugar, organic, "biodynamic" pot-set yoghurt. I don't have it with anything weird (maybe some coconut oil or half teaspoon of manuka honey or a couple of chopped pistachios). If I have it past midday I don't feel any worse for wear.

I was just wondering whether this happens to anyone else and if so if youve worked out why?

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    If I at just the yogurt in the morning, it does not hold until lunch. What works great for me is putting a scoop of protein powder in it. More protein in the morning keeps me going easy until lunch.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Is it only with yogurt, or with anything you eat before mid-morning? It could just be that your body is still digesting from the night before, and eating more puts a burden on your system, thus making you tired.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

ljq309 is offline Senior Member
    I mostly have yogurt for breakfast but I have it with fruit (blueberries or an apple mostly) and some muesli or flax seed or almonds. For me that is a great breakfast that well and truly gets me through until lunch time.
    Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
    Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
    Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
    Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

lorichka6 is online now Senior Member
    Yes! Sometimes I'm really in the mood for yogurt for breakfast but I hate that when I eat it my stomach is growling by 11 AM... I have 2 c full fat yogurt with a serving of blueberries and macadamia nuts - same calories as my normal eggs, bacon and veggie breakfast - but I'm hungrier much sooner. I was wondering if it was the higher carbs or something about the dairy per se...

Quote Originally Posted by tradawg View Post
    Is it only with yogurt, or with anything you eat before mid-morning? It could just be that your body is still digesting from the night before, and eating more puts a burden on your system, thus making you tired.
    No, it's just with yoghurt. Actually milk too. But milk makes me tired any time of the day. But maybe the dairy is harder to digest than other food but my body can cope with food lining it but not if it's been empty for several hours. I don't have the same problem with cheese in the morning but I guess I'd be more inclined to eat smaller amounts of cheese and to have it with other things at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by athomeontherange View Post
    If I at just the yogurt in the morning, it does not hold until lunch. What works great for me is putting a scoop of protein powder in it. More protein in the morning keeps me going easy until lunch.
    That could be it too- not enough protein (but I cant palate protein powders). I guess I'll just stick to my normal meat and/or eggs for breakfast. I do like the simplicity and desserty-ness of yoghurt in the morning on occasion though. Ah well.

Quote Originally Posted by lorichka6 View Post
    Yes! Sometimes I'm really in the mood for yogurt for breakfast but I hate that when I eat it my stomach is growling by 11 AM... I have 2 c full fat yogurt with a serving of blueberries and macadamia nuts - same calories as my normal eggs, bacon and veggie breakfast - but I'm hungrier much sooner. I was wondering if it was the higher carbs or something about the dairy per se...
    Well Im glad it's not just me! Maybe it's that whole insulin response thing with dairy? And in the morning the lack of other food in the stomach makes it all digest faster and so create a bigger insulin spike?