Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bugs page

Bosnic is offline Senior Member

Bugs

Shop Now
    Would anyone here eat bugs if they could buy them in bulk? I could see myself munching on a bowl of fried mealworms. Surely Grok didn't mind eating insects when he came across them.

What do ya think?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entomophagy

dado Guest
    yea i'll eat some bugs if they're cooked and coated with something, like chocolate covered ants maybe?

mozzy10 is offline Senior Member
    I could eat little worm things but something with multiple legs like a spider. . . . . . ewwwww
    It's just cultural conditioning though isn't it?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I'd kept a mealworm farm for a couple years (for culinary purposes.) A bowl of fried mealworms... not that tasty, but they are a great addition to cookies and such.

I currently have a few Chinese water beetles in the freezer waiting to be enjoyed. I am planning on resuming the mealworm farm in the next year.

thaijinx is offline Senior Member
    Bug eating is very popular here in my part of Thailand. In fact, I would go as far as to say it's integral!

I have tried crickets, ants, and even a black scorpion (whole - even the tail, which was a mistake on my part, and probably why I felt sick after it. LOL)

Deep fried, and covered in salt, the closest approximation I can make is that they taste like potato chips and not icky at all.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    i would try it..... if it was cooked..... no gut gushing
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Australian aborigines eat them and always have. Classic hunter gatherer.

afsjesse is offline Senior Member
    In Korea that boiled silkworms in the street and sold them in cups for a couple of thousand Won. They smelled rotten but didn't taste horrible. Good protein if nothing else.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    I'd eat insects only if I was starving.

thaijinx is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by afsjesse View Post
    In Korea that boiled silkworms in the street and sold them in cups for a couple of thousand Won. They smelled rotten but didn't taste horrible.
    Oh god! I know that smell!!!

The rotten stench of Korean silkworm larvae, boiling in those big vats by the side of the road, has GOT to be the worst smell on earth! I literally couldn't walk past one of those without gagging. The deer antler 'tea' places smelled totally rank too, as in, ugh I'm going to puke if I don't get outta here... but nowhere near as bad as the silkworm larvae! UGH! There are bugs, and then there's THOSE BUGS!

The Thai's fry their silkworm larvae, haven't tried them, but they look and SMELL a whole lot better than the Korean Beondegi!
    Last edited by thaijinx; 11-22-2011 at 03:58 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast