Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Armed Pushups and One Legged Squats page

wiltondeportes Guest

One Armed Pushups and One Legged Squats

Shop Now
    These are two very dynamic workouts within just the two exercises. Of course, I got the idea from The Naked Warrior written by a guy named Pavel. I'm just curious who else has been consistent with the one armed and one legged exercises? What kind of changes did you experience?

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    I've done lots of one arm push-ups and one legged squats. They're two of my favorite exercises and have undoubtedly helped increase my strength and athletic performance. Check out my twenty pistol squat challenge if you're looking to step up your pistol training.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    I have done pistols and 1/2 one armed push ups. I have been on a break for the past 3 months and I am just starting to get back into my routine. My pushups have definitely regressed and I can barely do any motion on the one armed push up. I keep working on getting the motion deeper so that hopefully next year I can do a full motion one arme push up.

Pistols I have always been able to do. I was doing 3 sets of 5 for each leg and would like to get to where Al is with 20 in a row.

I love doing body weight exercises because I hate dragging my ass to the gym.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    @wiltondeportes depending on your fitness level, ignore Al. He is a beast, not a mere mortal like the rest of us. But seriously - they are great exercise if you are at a level where you can do them (...and for the record, I cant...). Pavel's books are great, but somehow is progression in the Naked Warrior is too steep - I'd look at Convict Conditioning instead (and of course Al has co-written Vol 2...)

strom is offline Senior Member
    so what's a less steep progression for both? Pistols I have more trouble with.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I've been having great success with Convict Conditioning, but I'm not progressing quite so much at this time. I'm at the level where I'm transitioning from the uneven to one-limbed exercises and it's slow going.

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by strom View Post
    so what's a less steep progression for both? Pistols I have more trouble with.
    Convict conditioning has a 10-step progression on all of its exercises. But as jfreaksho points out, you still can get stuck. Pistols are not for the faint hearted somehow, and they are much more difficult than they should be (if you squat bodyweight you should be able to do pistols, right? Nope, not at all...)

wiltondeportes Guest
    To everybody that does the one armed pushups, can you please describe good and bad technique? Here's what I know from the Naked Warrior. Shoulders parallel at all times. Balls of feet on ground and a little wider than shoulder width. Chest all the way down to the ground. Keep shoulders apart from ears. What else? Does it matter what my midsection is doing? Is a straight down motion, or do you move down with the natural motion/angles of your arm?

As far as pistol squats, I've always been gifted with leg strength. Those aren't too hard for me except for a couple of small things. 1, my groin muscle is actually playing catch up right now so it can help when I am near the bottom. 2, it's way way easier to balance with shoes on. Without shoes, the exercise is trickier.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 11-21-2011 at 10:24 AM.

Dave Mayo is offline Senior Member
    Progression for 1-legged squats:

Split Squat
    Lunge
    Rear Foot Elevated Split Squat
    Sit to chair
    1-Legged squat

I am a strength coach and going through this progression all of my clients can 1-L squat. I have 2 female high school tennis players both under 115lbs who can 1-L squat to parallel with 10lbs dumbbells racked on their shoulders for 4-8 reps. Before I had a good progression I couldn't get anyone to do them for crap. It's also important to balance out the movement with a hip dominant movement, I prefer a single legged deadlift.

strom is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    not sure what a split squat, a rear foot or a sit to chair is. I know what a lunge is though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast