Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: what to eat post workout?!? page 3

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    For our style of post-workout carbing up, do you find that sweet potatoes are too fibrous/low GI (also they're higher in sugars than rice or white potatoes)? I tried using them once or twice as my primary post-workout starch source, but felt better with rice and white potatoes. Maybe it was because I ate the sweet potatoes cold. I've heard that when starch is cooled, it can become more resistant to digestion. Heating could help.
    White rice is a much better post-workout carb-up IMO. Higher GI, low-fiber carbs are vastly superior in my experience. Sweet potatoes will make me bloat more and give me nuclear gas. I could eat pounds of white rice with no ill effect. I stated sweet potatoes because they fall purely within the grounds of the PB and they're more nutritious than rice. However, if we're talking about the ultimate post-workout carb, it's probably a toss-up between white rice and SKINLESS white potatoes.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekron View Post
    Would you (or anyone else here) by chance have some recipes for me? My repertoire for primal fatty food is pretty decent by now but without grains im pretty lost on the high-carb stuff right now. Im willing to try the leangains approach but the food posted on that site is mostly some disgusting try to make cakes and cookies without fat and sugar :/
    I'm writing a post on my blog pretty soon regarding sweet potatoes over the weekend. I'll throw the recipe up here this weekend.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I stated sweet potatoes because they fall purely within the grounds of the PB and they're more nutritious than rice. However, if we're talking about the ultimate post-workout carb, it's probably a toss-up between white rice and SKINLESS white potatoes.
    I totally agree. Thanks for the clarification.

Machismo is offline Junior Member
    I can't speak for anyone but myself but, I personally like a shake after a workout. I try and have it made and drank within 20 minuets or so of my work out. I use two scoops of gold standard double chocolate whey protein powder with 2 cups of plain coconut milk, one banana, 6 blackberries, and 4 oz container of plain kefir, and 2 spoon fulls of flax seed oil. It measures out to 68g of carbs, and around 4o something grams of protein, it taste good to me, and it keeps me full until mid-day or so, which isn't bad considering that I drink it around 9:30am.

As I stated, this is just what I do, is it truly primal,no. Do I like it, yes. That being said there are a few :creature: comforts that I still like from my SAD days that can carry over in moderation to my new lifestyle. The choice is really and truly yours.

Use the force young yodiewan
    Knowledge is power, but Ignorance is bliss

wiltondeportes Guest
    Dinner. Not immediately of course, but I could comfortably workout up to maybe 30 minutes before a meal. My workout is my life though...it's not at predetermined times. It's not hard either. You just drop down and do some one armed pushups, one legged squats, and run around. Not for long times or many reps...just make it a habit. Any other athletic thing you want to be good at, you just practice it (throwing, catching, tackling, swimming, climbing, punching, kicking, etc). If you just want to have lean muscle mass and screw the applicable part of it, follow all of my advice except for the previous sentence.

Let me give you another hint about problems like this in general. If you come to opposing viewpoints (in this case: do I eat carbs after a workout, or do I eat protein, etc) that both seem to offer benefits and downsides without a clear victor, you are probably not asking the right question. You have to go a step above a problem to truly create a solution. Einstein once said something like that.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 12-17-2011 at 02:30 AM.

raptoryell is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've tried this for about a week now, and its helped me a lot:

Terry Shanahan Post Workout Pudding
    1 cup sweet potato
    35-40g protein
    1/2 cup applce sauce organic unsweetened
    3/4 c coconut milk (organic full fat)
    Primal (2013)
    Locavore (locally grown foods when possible)
    Training consists of Muay Thai, BJJ, weight training, and mountain biking

Would like to be in good shape by my 36th Birthday (07-07-2013)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123