Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what to eat post workout?!? page 2

Primal Fuel
    also a protein to carb ratio of 2 to 3 (protein to carb) has shown to give the most effective insulin response post workout window (30-60 mins post)
    Chris
    expert health and wellness australian nutritionist

The Health Guru
    Chlorella benefits

runningout is offline Junior Member
    As a base-line you should have protein + carbs after the workout latest whitin one hour (closer the work out, the better, say in 20-45 mins.).
    For muscle growth/rebuild there is a "window of opportunity" which is gone after 1 hour. There are studies made on this.
    To my understanding (sorry.. no reference..) easier the workout (intensity & duration) less protein and more carbs (e.g. 1-4 ratio), harder the workout (e.g. have weight training) more protein (1-1, 1-2 ratio). Usually fast carbs & low fat (after workout) are recommened in order to get incredients quickly (whitin the time window) to your circulation.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alovice View Post
    Any ideas of post-workout meal/drink should contain?
    BBC iPlayer - Frontiers: Muscle Wastage

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    What to eat? Yellowfin tuna and sweet potatoes. Nearly fat free, what little fat is in there is almost all omega 3 and sweet potatoes are possibly the best carb source out there post-workout. Either that or chicken breast and white rice. I've had great luck with 99% lean turkey burgers (2g fat/pound) and oven fries with a kosher dill pickle spear. Excellent.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Nekron is offline Senior Member
    Would you recommend carbs+protein with low fat only for the after workout meal or rather eating low-fat the whole day with the hard training?

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    I do the whole day. I usually work out completely fasted, have a large high carb/high protein/low fat meal an hour after the workout, then have a smaller meal that's moderate carb/high protein/low fat later in the day. In the event I have to work out later in the day (like today), I'll eat a smaller moderate carb/high protein/low fat lunch with the larger meal following post-workout.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Darwin17 is offline Senior Member
    After years of having a shake for breakfast and a specialized post workout shake after every single workout I can say that if you are eating within the guidelines of PB you don't have to worry....just let your body guide you. I sounds crazy I know but after a workout I usually have 2 dinners as I am starved to nutrients.

The crazy thing about this is that I have found that without the post workout shake stuff....and all the claims made by it....that is does not freaking matter at all!!! If you are eating PB you should be getting plenty of protein and your body will figure out what to do with it. I know that a heavy lifting day will deplete your glycogen but your body will refill it naturally without you forcing glycogen into your body to "replenish". The body fixes itself over a period of days when you train it hard so how is one meal supposed to help recover over 48+ hrs? The answer is that it does not matter at all. Just eat within the PB laws and you body will do a great job fixing itself in the wash of hormones that the workout gives you and the BP food enhances so don't sweat the small stuff and just eat when you feel like it.

Nekron is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I do the whole day. I usually work out completely fasted, have a large high carb/high protein/low fat meal an hour after the workout, then have a smaller meal that's moderate carb/high protein/low fat later in the day. In the event I have to work out later in the day (like today), I'll eat a smaller moderate carb/high protein/low fat lunch with the larger meal following post-workout.
    Would you (or anyone else here) by chance have some recipes for me? My repertoire for primal fatty food is pretty decent by now but without grains im pretty lost on the high-carb stuff right now. Im willing to try the leangains approach but the food posted on that site is mostly some disgusting try to make cakes and cookies without fat and sugar :/

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    ...sweet potatoes are possibly the best carb source out there post-workout.
    For our style of post-workout carbing up, do you find that sweet potatoes are too fibrous/low GI (also they're higher in sugars than rice or white potatoes)? I tried using them once or twice as my primary post-workout starch source, but felt better with rice and white potatoes. Maybe it was because I ate the sweet potatoes cold. I've heard that when starch is cooled, it can become more resistant to digestion. Heating could help.

GREGORY is offline Junior Member
    Good
    I eat Chocolates during work.
    Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast