Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recent Stomach Aches with Morning Eggs page

ThePrimalBrett is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Hey Primals,

I've been browsing the forums for a while now, and I have seen a lot of great posts. I have been reading Mark's blog since this Summer and finished his book in the same time period. Hopefully someone here can help me out.

I have been eating 4-6 hen eggs (scrambled) for the past few months almost every morning during the work week. I never had any issues up until about two weeks ago when I started getting a stomach ache about 30 minutes to an hour after I eat the eggs. I thought this might be because of the cheese or butter I had been cooking with, so today I tried 4 scrambled eggs with no butter, cheese, or pepper. Unfortunately, I still got an upset stomach in the normal time frame. It's not unbearable, but it's not pleasant at all, either. My stomach ache will come and go throughout the morning, and completely subside around lunch time about 4 hours after it starts when I eat some sliced turkey, swiss cheese, carrots and an apple.

I'm beginning to worry that I have developed an egg intolerance, and I really don't want to give up my nutritious breakfast. If it helps, most of the time I eat Omega 3, vegetable-fed eggs.

Please let me know if you have any stomach-calming foods I could try or if you have tried a different kind of egg that works. I have tried 20 or 30 almonds and a cup of coffee, but it doesn't really help the problem.

Thanks!

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

Unfortunately, I think egg intolerance is a definite possibility. Others on this forum have posted identical experiences with eggs, so hopefully they'll come by and add their thoughts.

I wouldn't pursue stomach calming remedies, because then you're applying a band-aid rather than addressing the underlying cause. Listen to what your body is telling you! If you are egg intolerant, going egg-free for a while might allow you to recover, and then you could reintroduce eggs at some point.

If you don't want to eliminate them completely, try eating eggs only once a week or so, and see how that goes. If you still get stomach aches, ditch the eggs entirely, at least for a while.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

I think you may have developed a sensitivity to eggs... It's actually one of the most allergenic foods for a lot of people... best thing to do would be cut them out for 2 weeks, introduce them in again and see how you feel... if the feeling is gone for two weeks and comes back when you eat them you know whats going on.

Best way to avoid intolerances/sensitivities is a rotation diet, unfortunately it can get expensive and many people do not have the funds. But rotating breakfast choices should not be hard or expensive at all...

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

ThePrimalBrett is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the quick replies. Do either of you have suggestions for a quick Primal breakfast not involving eggs?

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

Dinner leftovers are typical breakfasts around here. I sometimes eat canned wild salmon with homemade mayo. Or I'll saute some ground meat and veggies, topped with mustard or some other low-carb condiment. It ain't pretty, but it hits the spot.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Quick non-egg breakfast ideas:

Beef stew or pulled pork (made ahead and reheated)

Big ass salad with canned salmon and nuts

Baked spaghetti squash (made ahead and reheated) topped with coconut milk and chopped pecans

By the way, "vegetable/vegetarian fed" isn't much of a claim when it comes to eggs. First of all, chickens are naturally omnivores. Secondly, a grain based feed is "vegetable/vegetarian" but not healthful from a primal perspective. What you really want are pastured eggs (not the same as free range), but they're kind of hard to come by.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

beckinwolf is offline Member

One idea for breakfast that I've done a few times, is cook a piece of meat overnight in the crockpot on low. Then it is ready to eat in the morning. I've done chicken breast so far, but you could do it with any kind of meat. Just add water and spices, set it on low and its perfectly tender and juicy by morning. You can add veggies to it before to give it flavor, or have them separate.

Carpe Diem!

bogusjourney is offline Junior Member

The same thing happened to me with eggs! I ate scrambled eggs for breakfast every day for...two years, and then seemed to develop a taste aversion to them. I felt sick after I ate eggs in any form and had no clue what to eat instead. I did cut out the eggs and slowly added them back in over time, starting with hard boiled, which worked better for me for some reason. So far I am back to hard boiled and fried, but can't stomach scrambled. Someday I hope I'll be able to eat eggs in any form again. Good luck!

ps nowadays for breakfast I usually eat some greek yogurt with nuts and warm berries or a shake with unsweetened almond milk, carob powder, a few frozen cherries, whey protein, and stevia.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

How about full fat / greek yoghurt?

Or, after avoiding eggs for a while, maybe try duck or goose eggs? No idea if they have a different set of allergens, but might be worth a try. Duck eggs are much richer though, so you'd probably only want 2 at a time.

Or, try IF until lunch?

Steve-O is offline Senior Member

When I don't want eggs, I bust open and eat an avocado. I also have this coconut-flour based recipe in the oven right now:

http://www.elanaspantry.com/cranberry-walnut-bread-revised/

Substitute butter for grapeseed oil and maple syrup for agave nectar.

Enjoy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast