Thread: Is this beef tallow? page

MvEssen is offline Senior Member

Is this beef tallow?

Primal Fuel
    I was looking for fat for my 3 liter deep frying pan in the supermarket yesterday and scored big time. I found fat for deep frying french fries and stuff from beef fat. It's white when hard and really clear when molten. It has 3 ingredients: beef fat, anti-foaming agent & dimethyl polysiloxane (E900).

Is this (close enough to) what you guys refer to as beef tallow?
    Is it fine for cooking meat/vegetables as well? Or is (grassfed) butter better?

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    It's tallow with "extras" so depends how comfortable you are with those extras. It'll perform well at high temps (butter burns very easily) but at what "price"? Does it say what "anti foaming agent" actually is?

I read it wrong, dimethyl polysiloxane (E900) is the anti-foaming agent.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Assuming in the EU that they would have to identify hydrogenated beef fat as an ingredient yours does not have it which is good. Grass fed or not-in the Netherlands perhaps grass fed is the default? The E900 doesn't necessarily bother me but others I'm sure would feel differently. On the whole I'd be happy if my supermarket carried this. And yes, this is tallow.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    A local butcher might have some beef dripping or tallow and it's really cheap.
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muaythaimike View Post
    A local butcher might have some beef dripping or tallow and it's really cheap.
    Totally agree.Or buy fat and render it yourself.

Idioteque is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MvEssen View Post
    I read it wrong, dimethyl polysiloxane (E900) is the anti-foaming agent.
    Do you mind telling me in which supermaket (chain) did you find that? I might want to buy some as well (in NL)

Dimethyl polysiloxane (dimethicone) is a silicone, most probably harmless as it is in almost every supermarket cosmetic out there!

reeferjon is offline Member
    Got a bag of beef fat from our local butcher free yesterday..cut as much of the scrap meet off as I could....cut into big chunks. Shoved it in the electric croc pot for a few hours on LOW....drained off the fat through a small sieve and chucked 2LB of best tallow in the fridge......

SIMPLE and perfect.....

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I tried buying lard or tallow (or the fat to render it myself) and came out at €25,- for 3 liter as cheapest. This stuff cost me €6,-.

It's indeed true we don't make a distinction between grass fed or none grass fed here. Probably because most cows are grass fed. As far as I can tell they are outside at least in spring and summer eating grass, the farmers collect hay for the winter to feed them.

I'm not fine enough with the E900 to make this stuff my prime baking fat, so I'll stick to coconut oil and butter as my main baking fats. For the occasional deep frying I'm fine with this as it's 1000x better than vegetable oil.

I found it at Albert Heijn at the deep frying fats section. It's called "Blanc de Boeuf, Ossewit".