Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for Starting Yoga page

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I am currently under a lot of stress and I think it's starting to tax my health, so I believe it's time to experiment with Yoga or meditation.

On a prior post, 62Shelby recommended Pranayama, and I have been looking into it.

Does anyone have any more tips or advice for a complete beginner? I have never done this before.

I have found a lot of types of Yoga, but am looking for something simple and effective which I can do in my apartment and on my own. Is Pranayama alone the best way to start? Should I combine it with something else?

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

lakina is offline Junior Member

Dashama has these great FREE videos on her youtube channel (I don't agree with some of her food recommendations, but the yoga videos are great). I think these two videos are a great start...

Sun Salutations

http://www.youtube.com/dashama#uploads/22/a23CnVIURmY

Yoga for Bedtime-to help you sleep

http://www.youtube.com/dashama#uploads/5/McjCrIQ5GCw

She's got lots of other videos as well, but for me at least these were great to start getting into yoga without making a big investment in videos/classes.

Suz Guest

@SerialSinner: I have tons to say on this topic as I used to participate in Hot Yoga frequently. Although, I'm not sure if this is where you want to begin as most people have problems with heat.

When I first heard about Hot Yoga, or otherwise known as Bikram Yoga, I was hesitant because I wasn't sure if I was able to handle the heat. Essentially Hot Yoga is where you practice a series of 26 yoga poses in a heated room, usually at 105 degrees.

Try researching what's in your local area and see if any studios have free yoga classes or a special going on. The place that I went to had a 10 session for $10 deal which is pretty sweet.

I was under a lot of stress at the time and I can say that for me it truly helped in reducing stress and allowed me to sleep WELL at night.

Good luck!

maranne is online now Senior Member

Great that you are considering yoga! It is a brilliant way to combat stress.

If you want to do some alone....there is a brilliant podcast series that I use called

www.yogamazing.com

Chaz is excellent and every podcast is themed to a specific issue. e.g stress.

Have fun!

M

thanks for the feedback. Lakina those videos look very begginer-friendly, thanks. I subscribed to her channel.

Suz I heard a lot about Bikram, my ex-roommate did it for a while. I happen to be very heat intolerant though, but will eventually try it, time and budget allowing.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Maranne that seems ideal for my situation, thanks a lot.

Miriam Guest

SerialSinner try the sun salutations lakina suggested in the morning, they are the best way to start the day and really easy to follow.

Also mediation is something you can do anywhere and is a great stress relief, I mediate for 20 minutes every morning, I do silent meditation where I just listening to my breath, but you can also get cds which take you through different types of mediation. I also take mediation breaks through out the day where I just concentrate on a few deep breaths and that reduces my stress instantly.

Also if you feel you are stressed step away from the situation, go do something else that will take your mind off it, even if it is only for a few minutes like going to get a cup of tea or looking out the window at the sky.

Graeme is offline Junior Member

http://www.yogacards.com/

http://primalworkouts.wordpress.com/

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Also try looking for Hatha yoga, it seemed (a few years back at least!) to be the simplest version, best for beginners, focusing more on breathing and slow techniques.

It's lovely though! Have fun - although if you've not done it before I'd go to a couple of classes before working independently, just to make sure you're not sticking your bum out at a funny angle or anything...!

haha, thanks for the advice NM.

Graeme that PrimalWorkouts page is brilliant. Increasing my exercise might also be a good idea to relief some tension.

Miriam I will. I think I am the ideal candidate for yoga in terms of how much I need it's benefits. But I am also a bad candidate in that I still have to fight against my own "conventional wisdom" regarding Yoga.

I definitively secreted some adrenaline when I read the "Sun Salutation" line, but I managed to keep an open mind and continue reading, so I'm making some progress

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast