Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble with bodyfat. page

jpandzel is offline Junior Member

Trouble with bodyfat.

Primal Fuel
    Hi. I've been putting on some bodyfat ove the past month or so and wondering how this is happening. I IF everyday for an 18 hour block and have been keeping my diet regulated tightly. I am a 6 foot, 180 lbs male, 22 years old pretty lean, but have a good deal of bodyfat I want to get rid of. I have not been excersising for sometime now(very sedentary had a couple leg surgeries within the past few months and very slow rehab), but my diet I believe has been dialed in. The only thing I can think of is maybe I am eating too many calories for my activity level, but I don't think this is the case. So my diet is as follows...

Meal one about 12pm- Bacon and Eggs/1 tsp olive oil

Meal 2 about anywhere from 4-6pm- 4 small chicken thighs, 4 medium drumsticks, 3-4 cups of broccoli or brusselsprouts

On average that comes out to about 1800 cals, 170g p, 105g f, 25-30g c I also take about 5g fish oil, a multivitamin, and vitamin D daily

I've really been dialed in on my diet because I'm so sedentary at this point (cant wait to workout again), just not sure what I need to be doing to lose that body fat? Some help would be great!

For more Paleo hacks: Increased Bodyfat - Paleo Hacks.com

weird fish is offline Senior Member
    It could be the stress from injury and surgeries. I would not limit my eating window so much every day - increasing meal frequency, at least for a few days out of the week might be helpful. Also, 1800 calories is not very much food for a guy your size and age. So maybe you should add a full sized meal for a few days of the week. When you're recovering, it's important to not put additional stresses on your body (calorie restriction, low meal frequency). It makes sense that your body would be putting fat on.

Buoy1 is offline Senior Member
    I second that. I eat 200 more cals than you every day and weight 110 lbs. Eat more!

activia is offline Senior Member
    I dont second getting rid of the eating window. But I would try to cycle calories more (eat more on lifting days, less on rest days), and lift HEAVY things. Also sprint weekly.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    I don't see him sprinting any time soon with having "a couple of leg surgeries in the last couple months"........

Yeah, I think you need to ditch the IF - you're healing right now and your body needs the cals to do that, even if you
    only up them a couple hundred.

Also, since you ARE sedentary at the moment, your body prolly gets that big whack of food and goes "whoa! this is too
    much for RIGHT NOW, but not ENOUGH in the grand scheme of things, so let's use some for what I'm doing RIGHT NOW,
    then conserve the rest", i.e. send it to the fat stores.

That's just my personal opinion though.... and experience with undereating and IF.

Eating once a day and low cals = more belly fat for me. BOOOOOOOO!

Good luck, and hope you heal up right quick!

Julie

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    I don't see him sprinting any time soon with having "a couple of leg surgeries in the last couple months"........
    You can "sprint" in the water..swimming. You could also still lift heavy things (upper body)

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    See what you can do for weight lifting--bench press, military press, weighted dips and weighted chins will all get you plenty worked without involving your legs.

Sprinting in the pool as mentioned above is a good option, and you will probably be able to get on a bike before you can run--so try doing sprints on an exercise bike (or a real bike) when you can. No excuse to do nothing at all!

EDIT: same goes for "move slowly" too--if you can get on a bike or in a pool, you can get plenty of low-level movement in there as well.
    Last edited by Uncephalized; 11-18-2011 at 02:12 PM.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

jpandzel is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the responses. I will try to get a more adequate amount of calories and make healing my body the first priority. I can always cut the bf when I am healthy again. To the replies about "not doing anything is not acceptable", try having 2 hip sugeries with a 2 month span, one on either side. Very painful, and very restricted mobility. No weight bearing for 4-6 weeks. Trust me I am a former college athlete, I am itching to become active again. Would love to toss some heavy weight around, run some sprints, or go for a five mile hike!

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    I am going to guess that you are underestimating your calories. If you are eating 1800 calories you shouldn't be gaining any weight. And to address what other people are saying, if you eat more calories you are just going to put on more body fat. 1800 calories is not a starving amount or anything. Eating low calories is really only an issue when it is mixed with heavy exercise. You should be losing weight at 1800 calories, even without exercise. I really think that you are not calculating your intake correctly.
    Last edited by jimhensen; 11-18-2011 at 07:38 PM.

weird fish is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Eating low calories is an issue for anyone when they are doing it for long periods of time, unopposed by periods of surplus or at least sufficient calories. You'd be surprised how few calories you can gain belly fat on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast