Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much alcohol? page

Dualhammers is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

The only carb I really miss is booze. That is what sabotages me on the weekends, even though I've switched to whiskey and gin neat. Of those of you who are amongst the healthiest Grokkers - how many drinks do you have, and how do you enjoy a little buzz without sabotaging your primalcy?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I rarely drink anymore, but when I do a glass or two of red wine is sufficient for me. I'm a pretty cheap drunk now-a-days.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

I only drink socially these days (well, ALMOST only), and rarely more than 2 evenings per week. 1-2 drinks in an evening is typical, for a total of 4 or fewer drinks per week.

I prefer straight whiskey, but I also drink red wine, beer, or good margaritas (not the kind made with a sugary mix --eww!)

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

JamieBelle is offline Member

I have a glass of wine or two every day. I prefer white but have switched to red. On the weekends I'm more likely to have two glasses, but during the week I stick to just one. I have a relatively low tolerance and have to be careful.

By "glass" I mean 4 to 5 ounces, by the way. The size of the portion is important.

Minimal carbs, by the way. But it is empty calories.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

I've been advised over and over again to completely eliminate alcohol from my paleo/primal diet, but I will splurge and have a beer every now and then... Fair warning if you're planning on drinking more than a few, I've read around that being in ketosis + alcohol can result in a much faster and intense drunk, since your liver is working overtime..

I also read, although I'm not sure its credibility, that alcohol doesn't bump you out of ketosis (good), but your body will immedietely use the alcohol as energy FIRST (which, is sort of like fat, moreso than a carb,) and THEN switch back over to ketones. Fun fact.

Get Primal is offline Junior Member

Good info Jess, I've read that too. Here's a question that I've pondered but never really taken the time to figure out:

Let's assume you have two individuals that are genetic equalsl. They both consume the same calories per day (2500) and have the same activity level. One eats a primal diet of 2500 calories per day. The other eats 2250 calories of the exact same food, but also drinks 250 worth of alcohol per day. How would you expect their body composition to differ after a year of this?

Calories are the same. Under Jess' theory, the drinker will spend about 2.5 hours a day burning alcohol instead of primarily fat. But he also will not have the extra 250 calories of food being stored (or having to be burned). Maybe body composition will be the same, the drinker just gives his liver a better workout

lars1000 is offline Member

I've had to retire my beloved Pabst Blue Ribbon, 153 calories and 12g! carbs per 12oz can. So far, beer is where I've been the least primal.

warren is offline Junior Member

this is my single biggest hurdle. i like wine and booze but since i'm a long time beer drinker i tend to overdo these. i drink them a bit too quickly. i have been trying to stick with the lowest carb beers i can find wich tend to be rather blah. like to do a 30 day elimination of alchohol. that would TRULY be a "primal-challenge" for me

glorth2 is offline Senior Member

I'm a beer connoisseur. Love my big, dark, high ABV beers so, I'll always have to battle this.

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member

Beer lover here too. I miss going and trying different beers. Maybe I have one or two a month.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast