Thread: Confused about fats? How much, too much? page

beckinwolf is offline Member

Primal Fuel

I used to do the Zone diet, so I'm used to structure and macro-nutrients. I know that Mark recommends under 100g of carbs for the "sweet spot", that's been fairly easy to follow. I also understand the protein requirement. Right now, mine is from 82-118g depending on activity level. I generally try to keep it around 100g. My confusion comes from fat. I'm confused on how much to eat. I used to just use olive oil for everything, and small amounts, like 1 tsp. here and there. But now the PB talks about using lots of fat, but how much? I feel like I've been going overboard a bit, but I'm not really sure. On FitDay, my average fat grams has been 120g. Overall, I've been averaging 1900 calories. I do a lot of low-level cardio, 45 minutes a day usually, and 2 days a week I do either weights or sprinting. I just barely started with the sprinting, since I've never done that before. It's all new really. Just trying to figure it all out. Then I read posts about nuts being bad and nut butters being bad, or counter-intuitive to weight loss. It's frustrating, since I thought fat was great, but its not really? So too much of a good thing maybe?

Carpe Diem!

dfast is offline Member

Have you read these?:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/definitive-guide-primal-blueprint/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/definitive-guide-to-the-primal-eating-plan/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fats/

JamieBelle is offline Member

I'm not sure how tall you are or how much you weigh.

The formula is like this:

You start with carbs and protein grams and multiply each times 4. Then you subtract that number from the overall number of calories you want to consume in a day, remembering that you DO need a caloric deficit to lose weight. The resulting number is the calories you'd consume from fat, which you'd divide by 9 to get the number of grams per day.

For example, I want to consume 1600 calories per day at 5 feet tall, 100 lbs. I work out with weight training hard 5x per week, so I want 100g of protein a day. That's 400 calories. I try to keep my carbs below 75 grams, so that's 300 calories. 1600-700=900 calories left for fat, divided by 9 is 100 grams of fat.

Make sense?

Nuts are fine. Just be sure you're eating the right kinds of nuts. The only problem with nuts is that it's easy to overeat them (a handful has 200 calories), and they have more protein and carbs than people realize per serving.

beckinwolf is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

My stats are 5'4" and 196lbs. My body fat is usually around 40%, so my LBM is 118. That formula does make sense. Thanks.

Carpe Diem!