Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Natural Nutrition Majors page

alg2435 is offline Senior Member

Natural Nutrition Majors

Shop Now
    Hi! I'd like to go to school and major in nutrition, but I don't want to be taught and have to teach what the government says about it, I want to be taught and want to teach the real thing (yes, planning on researching a lot about the paleolothic lifestyle!) I know there's a number of Natural Health schools out there, but some of them seem like they could be a little weird. Does anyone have any experience/reccomendations? Please share!

No one? *sniff*

B. Knight is offline Senior Member
    Well what do you want to do with a degree in nutrition? If I were to be a nutritionist (which I have considered) I would do all my own research and get a degree in nutrition from the cheapest school that was reasonably credible. So you can say you have a degree in nutrition then actually tell people what works, instead of prescribing a SAD diet. That's what i would do with no research in to the field.
    "You don't have forever to change yourself."
    Stefan Molyneux
    Freedomain Radio

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
    Mark Twain

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Knight View Post
    Well what do you want to do with a degree in nutrition? If I were to be a nutritionist (which I have considered) I would do all my own research and get a degree in nutrition from the cheapest school that was reasonably credible. So you can say you have a degree in nutrition then actually tell people what works, instead of prescribing a SAD diet. That's what i would do with no research in to the field.
    this is spot on.

Thanks for your thoughts, B. Knight!

jfrendek is offline Senior Member
    Learning the crap and then speaking the truth might be the best option but as Robb Wolf said in one of his podcasts having the lies shoved down your throat for years would be about as much fun as sticking an ice pick into your forehead.

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    I've always wanted to major in nutrition too, but didn't want to suffer the brain aneurysm that comes with government taught nutrition xD

LizardGurl is offline Member
    If you want to be an RD, you will have to suffer through the CW program and retain enough of it to regurgitate it up to pass the licensing exam. I don't think it would be a total waste of time to do this. You will learn about the body and how it functions. You will learn how to locate and evaluate research.

If you don't want to be an RD, than you can probably find a program that doesn't teach CW nutrition only. I believe that Diane Sanfillippo at Balanced Bites also does career counseling for the nutrition field. She would be a good resource for you.

LG

Check out my blog about a post-menopausal woman's Paleo journey. Includes recipes, reviews, links to interesting research, and musings about the journey. http://paleopassage.com

keevelish is offline Senior Member
    It's like this with many fields. Go to college just to get that expensive piece of pretty paper to hang on your wall. Then you do your own research and carry on how you want to .

It's all a system.

jennf is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I am just starting down the path of a masters degree in Nutrition myself -I work for a university so can get my degree for cheap, but it's definitely CW. I know the next few years won't be fun, but my goal is to get the credentials and do what I want with them I will be looking for mentors as I progress to 1) keep me sane and 2) help me find the best path so that I can have the professional freedom I need in order to truly help people. If I'm feeling frisky at the end, I may do the thesis option and really blow their minds with some real research

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast