Thread: Pork fat into lard = just like rendering tallow? page

MAlthaus is offline Junior Member

Pork fat into lard = just like rendering tallow?

Primal Fuel
    I know Mark posted a great article on rendering tallow from beef fat a while back. I recently picked up a huge package of pork fat from the local farmer's market, and was curious if making lard was the same process. I'm assuming it is, but you know what they say about assuming things - and I figured asking here first was the better option, rather than just diving right in and somehow ruining perfectly good pork fat. Any suggestions/advice for a first-time lard renderer?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Yes, exactly the same.

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Except that the cracklin's are even tastier!

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctiluca View Post
    Except that the cracklin's are even tastier!
    Yes indeed they are:-)

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Pork fat rendered down to lard is my all time favourite cooking fat. I begin to feel anxious when I have less than 3 jars in the fridge....

If you eat potatoes, roast potatoes done in home rendered pork fat are super delicious!

MAlthaus is offline Junior Member
    Great, thanks guys! Will get started on that process as soon as I'm feeling a little less under the weather.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    It's the same as bacon grease, only without the cured/smoked flavor - right?

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    If you have a mincer (grinder) and a slow cooker, just grind the fat straight into the slow cooker. Then switch on to low and leave it - about 6 hours does it for me. Then strain the resulting lard and -keep the crisp little fat bits! They are divine with salt and pepper - and ground cumin doesn't go amiss!

minerva is offline Junior Member
    I scooped out the big bits of cracklin with a metal slotted spoon then poured the remaining through a kitchen sieve lined with a coffee filter to get the small bits. I didn't grind mine, but hand cut it into small 1-2cm chunks before dumping it in the crock pot.

Wide mouth mason jars are great for storage. Whatever container you use make sure the top is large enough to get your spoon into and out of easily and can stand the temp of the hot fat. BE CAREFUL, hot fat can give you a nasty burn.

I also did some sticks of lard and tallow buy molding them in those silicon muffin and loaf pans. Tallow worked better for this -it got harder. The lard was a bit soft and its shape deformed easier.

dkd2001 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I haven't done my beef fat yet, but the pork fat was easy. The cracklin's were excellent with a bit of sea salt.

I made my lard into butter cube sized rolls and wrapped them in wax paper and then stored in a bag for freezing. Get one out whenever I run out.

Lard -- particularly leaf lard -- is renowned for pastry making. Of course, we don't do much pastry in Primal. But it does tell you how lovely, and not particularly flavored, lard is. I posted some photos on my Primal blog of the lard, as well as a discussion on how I made it.
    Life is an ongoing Experiment of One, so here's to science!

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37576.html