Thread: Thickening gravy page

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member

Thickening gravy

Has anyone tried "Thick-it-up" Low Carb Thickener for making gravy, among other things? Ingredients: Locust bean (and/or tara), guar, acacia, xanthan gums. Is it Primal?

aimeep is offline Member
    You could try arrowroot powder, I think it is Primal/Paleo but not sure. Maybe even just reduce it down so the liquid evaporates off..?

Quote Originally Posted by aimeep View Post
    You could try arrowroot powder, I think it is Primal/Paleo but not sure. Maybe even just reduce it down so the liquid evaporates off..?
    Making gravy is my strong suit. How much arrowroot should I use?

Chochobo is offline Senior Member
    or tapioca flour. if a recipe ask for cornstarch u can sub the flour for it. 1tbs cornstarch = 2 tbs of tapioca
    "Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we often might win, by fearing to attempt." -- William Shakespeare

my weight loss story...
    started @400+pounds
    CW: 191lbs 15%BF
    PB: 158lbs 10%BF 33in waist
    UD2(6 weeks): 168lbs 9%BF 31in waist
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread39123.html

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    A google search about using the mentioned thickeners would probably help you in regards to how much to use. Also, depending on which you use & if you have leftovers, it may not reheat as well to the same consistency.

Also gluten-free gravy thickeners.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

dkd2001 is offline Senior Member
    I used Thick-n-Thin for years -- a mix of thickeners. I'm allergic to some of the ingredients now. I used it pretty much the same way I use arrowroot.

I use arrowroot now. It makes a clearer sauce than flour paste, but works pretty well. I don't use a specific amount -- depends on the amount you are working with. Arrowroot also doesn't sop up the excess fat as easily as flour, but works pretty well. I mix up a a heaping teaspoon of arrowroot with water, stir it up and add to deglazed pan. Stir it in. See what it looks like. Add more (stir up the arrowroot mix each time, it settles out fast.) It thickens as it heats up. Add water if it is too thick. Adjust the seasoning.

It's really easy to make gravy -- if it's too greasy add some starch. Too thick? Add some water. Bland? Salt and pepper. For turkey, I really like a dash of Worstershire Sauce, plus lemon juice and Soy (or Tamari) sauce for flavoring. Sounds weird, but it's really tasty.
    Life is an ongoing Experiment of One, so here's to science!

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37576.html

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by dkd2001 View Post
    I used Thick-n-Thin for years -- a mix of thickeners. I'm allergic to some of the ingredients now. I used it pretty much the same way I use arrowroot.

I use arrowroot now. It makes a clearer sauce than flour paste, but works pretty well. I don't use a specific amount -- depends on the amount you are working with. Arrowroot also doesn't sop up the excess fat as easily as flour, but works pretty well. I mix up a a heaping teaspoon of arrowroot with water, stir it up and add to deglazed pan. Stir it in. See what it looks like. Add more (stir up the arrowroot mix each time, it settles out fast.) It thickens as it heats up. Add water if it is too thick. Adjust the seasoning.

It's really easy to make gravy -- if it's too greasy add some starch. Too thick? Add some water. Bland? Salt and pepper. For turkey, I really like a dash of Worstershire Sauce, plus lemon juice and Soy (or Tamari) sauce for flavoring. Sounds weird, but it's really tasty.
    Thanks for your help. I don't make gravy often but some things just call for it. I've lost 56 lbs. since I started Primal. I still need to lose a lot more. I don't want to mess up how things are going just because I want some gravy. As it is, I have been hitting plateaus every now and then and that can be depressing.
    Last edited by Rosemary 231; 11-18-2011 at 03:39 PM.