Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Climber training and PBF page 2

ciep is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by mkowske View Post
    I REALLY like the idea of being more of an "all around" athlete like Mark explains it.
    Cool. Mix it up and focus a bit more on other activities. Become more of an all-arounder if that appeals to you (I definitely think it's important to be capable in as many ways as possible). It might even help your climbing in random ways, especially if you manage to increase your core strength and/or flexibility with the PBF workouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Clymb View Post
    Oh Ciep, you are wise.
    Yeaahh... replace "wise" with "long winded" and I'll take that quote seriously.

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ciep View Post
    Cool. Mix it up and focus a bit more on other activities. Become more of an all-arounder if that appeals to you (I definitely think it's important to be capable in as many ways as possible). It might even help your climbing in random ways, especially if you manage to increase your core strength and/or flexibility with the PBF workouts.

Yeaahh... replace "wise" with "long winded" and I'll take that quote seriously.
    Agreed. Try yoga. But don't gain too much muscle mass doing other activities, that'll just stall your climbing progress (most likely).

Lol I was thinking that too!

Bananabonobo is offline Senior Member
    hey, pardon me if you already have it/have heard of it/whatever but Dave McLeod published a book last year called 9 out of 10 climbers Make the Same Mistakes and it's a lot about busting up plateaus like that. http://www.amazon.com/out-climbers-m.../dp/095642810X i haven't read it myself but it might help you if you're feeling a bit progress-limited.

i wish i could offer more advice... i'm like a 5.7 climber wishing i had the strength:weight ratio to kick ass like you. but pbf is definitely helping!

Quote Originally Posted by Bananabonobo View Post
    hey, pardon me if you already have it/have heard of it/whatever but Dave McLeod published a book last year called 9 out of 10 climbers Make the Same Mistakes and it's a lot about busting up plateaus like that. http://www.amazon.com/out-climbers-m.../dp/095642810X i haven't read it myself but it might help you if you're feeling a bit progress-limited.

i wish i could offer more advice... i'm like a 5.7 climber wishing i had the strength:weight ratio to kick ass like you. but pbf is definitely helping!
    I think that book is mostly about mental blockages, but I hear it's good all the same. Everyone should have/read Training for Climbing by Eric Horst though, thanks for the reminder!

elliottsmith is offline Senior Member
    I'll check the 8a site. I've found weighted pull ups, weighted chin ups and one legged box squats have increased my climbing strength. But the best help of all was dropping weight, it increased my grade without even thinking about technique.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    I started indoor climbing a little over a week ago and I'm having fun with it. I can do 5.8s
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Bananabonobo is offline Senior Member
    erm.... ^sarcasm??

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    I started indoor climbing a little over a week ago and I'm having fun with it. I can do 5.8s
    Just keep climbing! I think the first thing I climbed was a 5.8

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananabonobo View Post
    erm.... ^sarcasm??
    No, I am very uncomfortable with heights. Climbing 50 feet for me was amazing enough.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    No, I am very uncomfortable with heights. Climbing 50 feet for me was amazing enough.
    Just do some bouldering

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast