Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Climbing training and PBF page

mkowske is offline Junior Member

Climbing training and PBF

Shop Now
    EDIT: Moving to fitness forum.. feel free to delete (I couldn't figure out how)
    --
    Hello!

I am new to the whole primal blueprint thing, but am loving it so far. So far I have only transformed my diet and now want to practice fitness the PB way, but am concerned about how to go about this...

I am a climber and I climb often. During the winter months I will be in the climbing gym on average 4 times per week for 2 hours each. As a mid 5.11 climber right now I have a goal to be climbing 5.12s by spring. I do intense back to back boulder problems, endurance route climbing, hang board stuff, etc etc... after reading PBF I'm wondering how I can continue to train (and get maximal gains) but also adapt to the PBF way. Do any other climbers have experience with this? Do the same principles apply to climbing where there are some very specific muscle groups that need to be targeted? Should I expect to make MORE gains if I only climb 2x a week? Has anyone else changed their training based on primal fitness techniques?

Advice appreciated! Thanks!
    Last edited by mkowske; 11-17-2011 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Wrong forum

jontrainer is offline Junior Member
    there's nothing more primal than calisthenics. and climbing is just that, i wouldn't worry about adapting your climbing training for the PBF. just make sure you aren't focusing solely on your main climbing muscles as you will develop muscle imbalances. ie: work on your pushing muscles and legs regularly

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    PBF is more geared towards sedentary people or people without a specific performance goal in a given sport. The best way to become a good climber is to climb a lot and to climb often. You can also consider the facts that climbing is a low-impact sport and that it doesn't require any cardio, which means it's probably a lot less harmful than other activities.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    I have been doing PB-style fitness for a while and started climbing 2 weeks ago. The climbing workout feels superior, but I still use pullups, pistol squats, uneven pushups, etc. as supplements regularly.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

quemans is offline Junior Member
    i wouldn't worry about adapting your climbing training for the PBF.

dank is offline Junior Member
    I'm also a climber and train up to 5 x a week often hard each time. I've found that I have to include more carbs i.e. sweet potatoes or white rice, in post climbing meals to allow adequate recovery but only after long sessions i.e. all afternoon, I don't think it makes much of a difference for short bouldering or strength sessions. I'm quite new to the primal diet but have noticed what little fat I did have on me disappear rapidly which is defiantly a benefit on the climbing front

However, I have found the need to take more rest days so sometimes I might only climb 3-4 times a week, I think this might be due to reduced carb intake but got to remember that rest makes you stronger so I don't think this is a bad thing.

dank is offline Junior Member
    Would be interesting to hear about others experiences with primal and climbing...

bdlee73 is offline Member
    I climbed indoors for the first time last Monday and totally bonked after 7 ascents. I made the mistake of climbing in the evening after doing my simple fit day one workout in the morning. I had also done a quick 2 mile hike that day too. I was so tired and exhausted afterwords I decided to skip My Wednesday Simple Fit workout; I did do a 6 mile hike on Tuesday evening, though. I had a small meal of a chicken thigh (skin on) with baked broccoli and carrots at 3 and then climbed at 630. I had a handful of almonds on the way to the climbing gym.

I love being really active now but am think I'll need to really scrutinize what I'm eating on really active days and probably eat more primal carbs. I have a lot of energy when hiking, but this climbing killed me!

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member
    Just keep climbing like you have been ... the best way to train for anything is by doing it.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Keep at the PBF but you may want to hold off/minimize the back exercises as you are already working that hard
    Last edited by Dirlot; 10-12-2012 at 12:29 PM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast