Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Climbing training and PBF page 2

dank is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Climbing as an exercise form has one of the highest calorie requirements due to the weight-bearing engagement of all your muscles, I think for this reason it requires a higher carb supplement and should be considered to fit into the primal blueprint on par with long-distance endurance activities.... does anyone agree?

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    It is a high strength workout, and you need to be very fit but it is not like long-distance running. Even if you are climbing all day you are on the rock then off while your partner climbs.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

bdlee73 is offline Member
    I climbed tonight and did about 8 or 9 climbs in 2 hours. I'm a beginner so they were all at the 5.7/5.8 level.

This time I didn't work out in the morning and I had a banana and a Lara Bar about an hour before climbing - I had plenty of strength and energy for the climbs I did which was a massive improvement over last week. Now I just need to figure out how to climb every Monday while incorporating my Simple Fit workouts.

Philip Lutz is offline Junior Member
    Do not get too caught up in the physical aspect of climbing right now. You are most likely more than strong enough to send your projects if they are in the 5.12 range and you can climb 5.11s right now. Focus on doing moves correctly and climbing efficiently. Also, make sure you keep your muscles balanced and work your antagonist muscles

As far as eating goes, consume a good amount of carbs with some protein after working out and do not worry too much about excessive carbs the rest of the day because most Primal foods are low carb anyways. I usually do not like to eat at least 4 hours before a gym workout and have been experimenting with longer fasts before.

Now...climbing outside for a whole day or multiple days on a trip are a completely different story. Where are you climbing?

bdlee73 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Keep at the PBF but you may want to hold off/minimize the back exercises as you are already working that hard
    I'm cutting my workouts down to twice a week when I climb on Mondays.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12