Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WOOHOO I COULD EAT MEAT AGAIN!!! Kelp Noodles?? page 2

lardomuncher is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    i'v heard that this stuff is crap,, compare kelp in the ocean to the noodle, it is very processed

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lardomuncher View Post
    i'v heard that this stuff is crap,, compare kelp in the ocean to the noodle, it is very processed
    The same company also sells straight sea veggies if that's what you want. Sea Tangle is made right here is San Diego.

Meathead is offline Junior Member
    Yea Lardo, I saw the same video from some knit picky Raw Foodist on youtube. But so far so good. Read up on the stuff and other people who've tried it. It has 3 ingredients, water, kelp, sodium alginate. My only concern was the sodium alginate but it turns out to be just fine. Sodium alginate is considered a soluble fiber. And, similar to other soluble fibers like pectin and psyllium, sodium alginate have hypocholesterolemic and glycemic-regulatory activities. ( I copied and pasted that last sentence, I'm not that smart lol) Anyway I don't trust Raw Foodies, even though I'm dating one lol.
    Last edited by Meathead; 11-17-2011 at 04:27 PM.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tplank View Post
    So, what do kelp noodles taste like? I generally don't like substitutes and opt to just stay away from things. But, the iodine potential here is enough to get my attention. I really would prefer something that was different than pasta, but with its own goodness.
    They don't really taste like anything. When boiled I would compare them, texture wise, to yam or konnyaku noodles.

tplank is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everyone. I am going to try these next time I see them!

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    They don't really taste like anything. When boiled I would compare them, texture wise, to yam or konnyaku noodles.

I haven't tried the kelp noodles, but I just wanted to say that if the texture is like the shiritake (yam noodles), then to me, the texture is like
    a sauteed mushroom. A little spongy, but biteable... meaning, you don't have to chew it forever to get it to break apart.

I love the shiritake noodles... and they're on sale right now at Lucky's (at least here in NorCal) for 1.49 a bag.

Anyway, just sayin'.

Julie

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    You can soak them in lemon juice and salt while you're working on the rest of your prep (~15 minutes), and then they won't even have that spongy-ness. I eat kelp noodles all the time, either raw or cooked. They have no fishy taste (no taste whatsoever).
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

tcb
    tcb is offline Senior Member
    I bought a bag from my local asian food place... they are pretty much taste free. I felt like I was eating plastic. I'd rather have spaghetti squash or not eat spaghetti than eat kelp noodles again.

paleo_hailey is offline Senior Member
    I don't love the texture of kelp noodles, but when my husband went low-carb, he absolutely loved them as substitute rice noodles for pho. They don't really have a taste - they just suck up the flavor of whatever you pair them with.

You can buy them at my local Whole Foods, might be easier for some than mail order.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcb View Post
    I bought a bag from my local asian food place... they are pretty much taste free. I felt like I was eating plastic. I'd rather have spaghetti squash or not eat spaghetti than eat kelp noodles again.
    Gotta soak. Yah, they are funky if no soak.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12