Thread: Deciding to cancel some supplements... page

Hardwarehank is offline Senior Member

Deciding to cancel some supplements...

Primal Fuel
    Such as fish oil and probiotics, I will continue to supplement vitamin d3 however.

My aim is to get some opinions on not taking them while considering my diet.

A typical week goes like this(nearly everything I buy for food is from the co-op so it will be assumed that most of what I list is organic and/or locally sourced):

Monday:

1st meal - 4 hard boiled eggs with 4 slices of bacon(going to try to make my own breakfast sausage for cost reasons). And a couple of strips of beef heart jerky.

2nd meal - 12 oz. of steelhead trout sashimi with tamari and wasabi.

Tuesday:

1st meal - Mixed greens/baby spinach salad with homemade balsamic vinaigrette topped with wild canned salmon. A serving of full fat Fage with half a cup of blueberries and sweetened with a teaspoon of raw honey. And a couple strips of beef heart jerky.

2nd meal - Kimchee Jjigae with chicken wings and some white rice.

Wednesday:

1st meal - 4 hard boiled eggs with 4 slices of bacon. And a couple of strips of beef heart jerky.

2nd meal - Oxtail broth(sometimes with white rice) and kimchee.

Thursday:

1st meal - Mixed greens/baby spinach salad with homemade balsamic vinaigrette topped with wild canned salmon. A serving of full fat Fage with half a cup of blueberries and sweetened with a teaspoon of raw honey. And a couple strips of beef heart jerky.

2nd meal - Oxtail broth(sometimes with white rice) and kimchee.

Friday:

1st meal - 4 hard boiled eggs with 4 slices of bacon. And a couple of strips of beef heart jerky. Sometimes I go out to lunch and get something mostly primal oriented.

2nd meal - Stir fry with some kind of animal and a smorgasbord of veggies fried in coconut oil.

Saturday:

1st meal - I typically try to fast on Saturdays, if not I usually have 4 fried eggs(overeasy, love runny yolk) and 4 slices of bacon.

2nd meal - Oxtail broth(sometimes with white rice) and kimchee. Noticing a trend?

Sunday:

1st meal - 4 fried eggs and 4 slices of bacon.

2nd meal - A ribeye or ny strip whichever looks better when I go to the co-op to restock. Asparagus and mushroom sauteed in bacon grease. Some squares of 85% dark chocolate as I settle in for some Walking Dead.

I don't snack. But if I do, it's usually jerky or some cheese.

Sorry for the long post and although that may be a typical week there is of course some variance. Going by that though, do you think it would be ok for me to stop the fish oil and probiotics? Everything else seems to be in order.

I've been primal for 3.5 months now I'd say at 95%; down 50 pounds and 6 pant sizes and feeling awesome.

Thanks for taking a look.
    Last edited by Hardwarehank; 11-17-2011 at 02:26 PM. Reason: weird formatting... fixed

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    I'd say you could. I'd add some fermented foods on the days you don't have the kimchi, but that's just me.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

tplank is offline Senior Member
    What was your rationale for taking them in the first place? Did the underlying reasons change?

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Looks pretty good to me. I was initially concerned with the PUFA intake given 4 eggs and 4 slices of bacon almost everyday, but that total gives you 3.6g of omega-6 (check your bacon slice size against that given by NutritionData; 8g seems pretty skimpy). And the rest of your diet looks to be pretty low in PUFA, so I'd say you're OK to drop the fish oil. Ideally, you want total PUFA to be 4% or less of your intake, so about half from O-3 and half from O-6 gives 2% which on a 2000 calorie diet is 40 calories or a little over 4 grams.

Your diet overall seems pretty low calorie to me though. I'd be starving I think.

otzi Guest
    I'd throw in some liver once a week, too. I have bottles of D3, K2, B12, B-complex, C, Fish Oil, Krill Oil, magnesium, and zinc on my counter. Usually every day I take 5 or 10,000IU of the D3, every other day a K2 and one of the others. If I eat some good cheese or a bunch of eggs, I'll skip the K2 that day.

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    I think your diet looks pretty good especially if you feel good. I'm a big fan of the kim chi and along with the yogurt, I think you have probiotics covered.

You may or may not need liver since I think you're getting a good amount of b vitamins and choline from the oxtail broth and meat in general.

Also, I'm a little biased since your diet is similar to mine except I've cut down drastically on bacon and eggs. On days I don't have kim chi or sauerkraut, I'll add miso to my broths.

The only thing I could possibly suggest is some sort of zinc and magnesium before bed
    Currently dabbling in: IF, leangains, Starting Strength, 5/3/1

Hardwarehank is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tplank View Post
    What was your rationale for taking them in the first place? Did the underlying reasons change?
    When I was new to primal I wanted to make sure I had as many of the bases covered as I could. I thought it better to make sure I was getting more than enough of the good stuff than not enough. But as time went on and I did more research I've decided that I would rather get my omega 3's from whole fish(along with the protein and other nutrients that come with whole fish) rather than from pure fish oil. As far as probiotics I figure I have that covered with the yogurt and kimchee. I also eat garlic and green onion on an almost daily basis(great prebiotics and they're delicious) so I feel I'm good on gut health with all of that considered.

I've considered looking into magnesium supplementation but not zinc. I'll have to look into that.

Thanks for all of the replies and helpful suggestions, they've helped to put my mind at ease.

tplank is offline Senior Member
    I'm glad you are thinking about cutting back. I agree with what you are saying about whole foods entirely. That said, from what I have read, it is hard to get enough fish oil. Maybe consider just cutting back the quantity rather than eliminating the supplement entirely?