Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The crap in my supermarket meat. page

MvEssen is offline Senior Member

The crap in my supermarket meat.

Primal Fuel
    Some time ago I switched from supermarket ground meat to that from my butchers because of all the fillers in it. Yesterday I found myself in need of food at a time my butcher was already closed. So I went to the store and here they had this action price for ground beef. I checked the ingredients to see how bad it would be and found most of the fillers weren't in it anymore. Apart from beef there was only two more ingredients. It would be cheaper and more convenient for me to just buy this stuff instead of having to go to the butcher. Please tell me if there's anything bad about these two things and what will it do to me.

Anti Oxidant (E301)
    Citric Acid

tplank is offline Senior Member
    If you are not getting meat from your butcher that is so radically better in taste than the meat from your supermarket that you would never consider the supermarket as a regular option, you need to find a good butcher. Supermarket meat is a joke and almost a waste of money.

MvEssen is offline Senior Member
    There probably is a difference between the supermarket meat here (The Netherlands) and where you live .

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    What are the fillers? I didn't know ground beef from the supermarket was anything but ground beef. If you're talking about lips and other sphincters that's still beef.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Hardwarehank is offline Senior Member
    I don't know how it is for other countries but in the U.S. the USDA does allow meat packers to put meat "filler" into the ground meat. What this means is they take trimmings that are unfit for human consumption(contaminated with feces) grind it into a pink sludge and bathe it in ammonia to kill off any e. coli then blast freeze it. Sounds delicious doesn't it? If you get ground beef from the supermarket, make sure they grind it in front of you from a whole piece of meat.

Hamburger Helper? Slime, Ammonia and Cow Shit | Generation Green - the consumer action wing of the Center for Environmental Health

tplank is offline Senior Member
    Maybe. But the principal is the same. Hopefully, a quality meat source is available to you. Great meat is getting increasingly difficult to find here too...it can be done, but you must be deliberate about it. When I was young, our meat was generally excellent. It has been in steady decline over the last 50 years.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Ah, I see. I get my beef from a local grass-fed source. It probably has no sludge blasted with amonia but if there are icky body parts in there I'm okay with that.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

otzi Guest
    When we first moved to Holland, we went shopping in a store called VD (Vroom&Dreesman). Aside being called VD, the worst experience was the hamburger (VD Burger). It is some mixture of pork, beef, bread, and spices I'd never had. We quickly learned to order Ham and Cheese Toasties and not "hamburgers".

Back to your question, if the supermarket hamburger is just ground beef and fat, I'd get that, but if there is other stuff in it I'd go to a butcher.

I was no way primal when I lived in Holland, and thinking back, I ate a shitload of Nasiballen, (deep fried, breaded balls of rice!) and Bamiballen (deep fried, breaded balls of noodles!). But they also had really, really awesome beef tartar that was 100% ground, prime beef served raw. Plus, when mussels were in season you could buy a sack full for real cheap. The vegetable aisle in most grocery stores was phenomenal!

I feel bad for anyone in Holland trying to go low carb, their bread is always fresh and delicious! And, if you have never had dutch french fries covered in peanut butter sauce, well, you haven't lived!

raptoryell is offline Senior Member
    I'm investing in a personal meat grinder to make my own ground meat...after reading about how its more 'pure' than the store bought stuff...I cant go wrong.
    Primal (2013)
    Locavore (locally grown foods when possible)
    Training consists of Muay Thai, BJJ, weight training, and mountain biking

Would like to be in good shape by my 36th Birthday (07-07-2013)

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Additives - E-numbers: E301, E302, E304, E306, E307, E308, E309

List of what the ingredients are in Europe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast