Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long-Term Feasibility page

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I've only been eating this way for a week and I'm totally in love with it... so much so that I'm planning on going through my recipes and getting rid of the ones that don't "fit" anymore, getting rid of the "health" cookbooks and such... (this is going to be a big project because I have a LOT of recipes saved).

Also, I'm wondering if anyone has input about rearing Primal children. I don't have kids yet but plan to try in the next couple of years. I think most of it wouldn't be a problem (the fitness aspects of course, and eating at home) but there would always be the issue of your child going to a friend's house and having snacks/meals there(do you explain their diet or just let them have a 20% moment), birthday parties with lots of cake at school (ugh. I teach in my house and I'll have you know that "cake and ice cream" counts as a bread and dairy... it's 100% approved by USDA), school lunches (even if you pack lunches they might be tempted to trade/share some things)... just curious about if anyone has experience with this and what you've found to be true.

Also, if anyone has been pregnant while following the PB please share your experiences! I'd love to hear about it.

One more thing: to anyone who's reading this, how long have you personally been following the PB? How long do you plan to follow it?

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

I have been following the PB properly since April, and will always do. The longer I follow it, the better I feel, and the more creative I become in implementing it.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

That's great, Serial!

No kids, I guess?

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Unfortunately not. I have a recently born goddaughter though, but her nutrition is beyond my jurisdiction

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Tarlach is offline Member

My wife and I have eaten very strict paleo (more strict than the PB) for over three and a half years. In this time we have had two children, so we have been though some of your concerns and we worry about the rest also

My wife had very good pregnancies and a few weeks after giving birth, was back under pre-birth weight (she's lost weight steadily over the years). Most of the other new mums are rather jealous.

We have fed our kids only breast milk and then pureed veg or fruit and chunks of steak to chew on (and carrot sticks make good teething chew toys). Our eldest is now almost two (our girl is almost 6m) and can eat a whole t-bone for dinner. He has a great attitude about food and we don't have troubles getting him to eat. He does love fruit and veg, but we try not to let him OD on carbs. He has just helped himself to a cold hard-boiled egg and is peeling it now.

Our kids have been sick remarkably few times and we have had nothing more than a few restless nights and a couple of rare vomits. We haven't come close to taking an ill child to the doctor yet. The other kids in play group seem to constantly have sniffles/gastro/rashes/etc.

I mostly IF, but the wife feeds the kids three times a day so that they will be used to the routine for school. They will get paleo food though and we will speak to the teachers about it all then.

Going to friend's houses... yet to figure that out, but will likely inform the other parents that our kids are celiacs or have certain food intolerance.

I would highly recommend paleo (or primal at least) for mothers to be and child upbringing.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

brahnamin is offline Senior Member

Being a dad I can tell you that kids are remarkably adaptable when it comes to food. I'm well new to the whole primal thing, but my wife weened the kids off processed sweets years ago.

We never forbade such foods, we just didn't buy them (birthday cake and the occasional ice cream treat being the exceptions that defined the rule) and now all 3 of mine will choose a piece of fruit over candy or cookies given the opportunity. It blows my mom's mind when they visit her.

Funny thing is, we didn't do it for their health. Fruit (when you buy seasonally and on sale) was just cheaper than the junk.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

I'm not a parent, and am a complete newbie (but loving it!)

However I think "white lies" might be the way to go, if you haven't the time to explain the whole concept, or if the person in question won't listen.

So for the Dr/pregnancies, just nod and smile and do your own thing. But maybe read up a bit more on how other people go / extra vitamins you might need?

As for the kids, I think telling others that they have coeliacs (sp??) disease is currently a necessary evil - it will avoid the wheat at least, and hopefully the odd serving of other grains e.g. rice won't be a disaster?

Tarlach, that's such a great picture in my mind... your kid eating a whole t-bone. haha.

Also, that is awesome about your wife's pregnancies and post-pregnancy return to normalcy.

I have no doubt that my future children will love the foods we'll be eating (who couldn't love it?) but the social situations are what concerns me more.

"little white lies" are a good idea for simplifying the explanation to other skeptical adults (teachers, friends' parents)... still, I hate to lie.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Eating Paleo, Tarlach's wife no doubt dropped the kids and went back to picking beans in the field, eh?

darienx19 is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

It's a fortunate thing that the word "allergic" is a trigger word in our society. As soon as you invoke it, people immediately give up all protests. I see no harm or reason to hold back from using it to enforce the lifestyle for yourself or your family.

I don't think it's a lie to tell someone that your kids are allergic to grains... "Allergic" doesn't have to mean that you have a severe and apparent reaction right away... I'm allergic to penicillin, but only mildly allergic to amoxicillin (it takes about a week for signs to show). The lectins cause inflamation, and I wouldn't feel dishonest about calling it an allergy. I bet a human would have a much more severe 'allergic' reaction consuming lectins in a higher or distilled concentration.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast