Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Girls and six-packs page

<archer> is offline Junior Member

Girls and six-packs

Primal Fuel
    I'm on a swim team and people have noticed that you can see my six-pack. (yay!) But, they're telling me that it's unhealthy for a girl to let their 6 be visible becuase women need more fat than men. I'm not inclined to believe them...but...are they right? And if not, what can I tell them to convince them that I'm not ruining my "baby making equipment" by havng little fat around my middle?

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I don't think it's a one-size fits all proclamation (is anything)? Some people will have good ab definition at higher bodyfat percentages than other people. If you're still healthy and not experiencing ammenorrhea I wouldn't worry too much.

crowemagnonman is offline Senior Member
    I know that girls with very low body fat can stop having their monthly (hey, I got to use those anatomy classes after all). I want to say that that was do more to anorexia than low body fat by itself. If you have a healthy diet and still have your monthly then I'm pretty sure that means everything is operating as it should.
    My Blog -----> Two Bar Garage

La.C is offline Member
    Tell them your uterus fell out long ago from some high intensity, non female specific exercising.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Going to need pictures of your bum and thighs to determine how much phat you're carrying around there, lady.

ahem, what I mean to say is, if you have what most would consider "nice" legs and ass you're probably fine, if both of those are rather skinny then maybe your friends are right.

I went to HS with a girl that always had visible abs, but she also had a superb lower body that was most decidedly not lacking fat.... ifyouknowwhatImean

It's never too early to be a total creep, I reckon. Good morning everyone!

<archer> is offline Junior Member
    Thanks! Yeah, my general answer when people tell me I shouldn't eat this way, or do this or that, is I'm healthy and feeling great, so why does it matter? People are usually pretty dumbfounded by that... (or they say I'm harming my health in the future, to which I usually give up the argument)

crowemagnonman is offline Senior Member
    Best to just smile, nod and continue being awesome!
    My Blog -----> Two Bar Garage

Fatkid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crowemagnonman View Post
    Best to just smile, nod and continue being awesome!
    +1

ErinF is offline Senior Member
    Maybe they're just jealous that you look awesome and they dont?

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If your cycle is normal, then you have nothing to worry about. If it isn't normal, you should be concerned and maybe talk to a doctor, but it isn't a certain sentence of infertility. Your body can recover from that just fine in most cases.

Women's body fat does tend to be higher than men's, but that doesn't preclude you from having a six-pack, depending on what your bodyfat actually is, and where it is carried. If you are on a swim team, I'm guessing you're still pretty young (not more than mid-20's, probably) and towards the lower end of healthy, which should be fine.

If you want to have something to end the arguments, get your bodyfat checked- you can try to measure and use an online calculator or three, because it is really difficult to do the algorithms for women. A better way would be to check at your university and see if they can do it for you. Your coach might be able to hook it up for you, if you present it as a health and safety issue. "Coach, a lot of people have been commenting... I'm concerned that... Could you help me get my body fat level checked accurately?" As long as you are in or near the healthy range you should be fine, and you have an argument-ending statement of "My bodyfat percentage is X%, which is in the healthy range. Shut the hell up, you jealous @#!$%!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast